1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional derivatives

1. Feb 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose you are standing at the point (-100,-100,360) on a hill that has the shape of the graph of z=500-0.006x2-0.008y2.

In what direction should you head to maintain a constant altitude?

2. Relevant equations
    Duf = ∇f[itex]\bullet[/itex]u
    formula for directional derivative

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here's my idea. If the directional derivative at the point specified is zero, then that's equivalent to maintaining constant altitude. Therefore, I must find the corresponding gradient vector ∇f when the directional derivative is zero right? I have no idea how to carry this out however.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, find the gradient vector. But you can't choose what it is, it's fixed by the problem statement. What you need to find is a vector u such that the directional derivative is zero.

4. Feb 24, 2014 #3
    Ok, I'm confused on how to go about this.

0 = ∇f[itex]\bullet[/itex]u

You say ∇f is fixed:

∇f = <zx,zy>

= < -0.012x, -0.016y >

= < 1.2, 1.6 > Subs. coordinates given

Then solve for u?

5. Feb 24, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, write u=<ux, uy>. Since the dot product of u with the gradient is 0 you should be able to find a relation between ux and uy. You won't be able to find a unique u. But the question is only asking for a direction.

6. Feb 24, 2014 #5
    So u could just equal < 0 , 0 > ?

7. Feb 24, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It could. That means you just stay in the same place and don't go anywhere. But the question is asking for a direction in which you could move and not change altitude. Find another solution.

8. Feb 24, 2014 #7
    Oh I get it.

I'll use u = < 1 , -0.75 > , that comes out to zero.

Thanks Dick.

9. Feb 24, 2014 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right and you're welcome. Actually there are lots of solutions but they all point in either that direction or the opposite direction.

10. Feb 24, 2014 #9
    u is supposed to be a unit vector. So take your u and divide by its magnitude.

11. Feb 24, 2014 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or they might want an angular bearing. Hard to say. reddawg might know based on previous questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted