1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directionnal Derivative

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    This is a problem thats been bugging me. Suppose you are on the surface M(x,y)=3*x^2+y^2+5000 that describes a magnetic field, you are at the point (8,6), what is the curve along which you should travel so as to minimize field intensity as rapidly as possible? I am told I need to solve a differential equation, I am thinking I need to find the minimal directional derivative and somehow from that find the equation of the line that represents, and integrate it to get a curve. But I am at a loss as to how to start. Someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know that [itex]-\nabla M(x,y)[/itex] is the direction you need to go into in order for your field to decrease the most rapidly. And given a parametrized curve [itex]\gamma (t) = (x(t),y(t))[/itex], the speed [itex]\dot{\gamma}[/itex], is the direction in which the curve is "going". So if you'd have a curve whose speed is [itex]-\nabla M(x,y)[/itex], you'd have a curve that follows the path of fastest decrease, would you not?

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    Sorry I don't quite follow, the negative of the directional derivative is the directional I need to go, but what is the parametrized curve? Is the equation of setting up -M(x,y)=(x(t),y(t))?

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A curve and a "parametrized curve" are practically the same thing. A curve is a function (typically smooth) [itex]\gamma : (t_1, t_2)\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2[/itex], [itex]\gamma(t)=(x(t),y(t))[/itex].

This is a what a curve is. The other way to define a curve is as a "level curve", i.e. by finding a function f(x,y) such that f(x,y)=constant gives a certain relation btw x and y.

6. Oct 11, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And just as the derivative of a single valued function f(x) gives the tangant to the curve, the derivative of the curve, typically noted [itex]\dot{\gamma}[/itex]*, gives the tangeant to the curve, i.e. the direction where the curve is "heading".

*[tex]\dot{\gamma} =\frac{d}{dt}\gamma(t) = \left(\frac{dx(t)}{dt},\frac{dy(t)}{dt} \right)[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  7. Oct 11, 2006 #6
    I am still a bit confused but I have something like this - (xn,yn) = (8,6)+[(-3x,2y)/sqrt(36x^2+4y^2)]*[v,w] where (xn,yn) is the new point after moving some distance, [v,w] the unit vector and [(-3x,2y)/sqrt(36x^2+4y^2)] the gradient divided by its length to give you the unit gradient, but how do I solve this?

8. Oct 11, 2006 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand what you've done here. What do you not understand about the method I suggested?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?