Explaining the Difference Between 58deg N of E and E 58deg N

• Thread starter Tiplerfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the difference between 58deg N of E and E 58deg N is the starting point on a compass and the direction in which you turn. 58deg N of E means starting at E and turning 58 degrees towards N, while E 58deg N means starting at N and turning 58 degrees towards E. The order of the words in the two values is important and changes the direction of the heading.
Tiplerfan
I don't understand the difference between 58deg N of E and E 58deg N. Could someone please explain.
Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine the face of a compass. 58o N of E means that you start at E and then turn 58o anti-clockwise towards N. 58o E of N means that you start at N and then turn 58o clockwise towards E.

IOW; 58o N of E means 90o (E) - 58o = (a compass heading of) 32o, while 58o E of N means a compass heading of 58°.

Guys please look at the way the words in the two values are ordered. I realize 58deg E of N is different than 58 deg N of E. But that is not what I asked. Please read it again. To me the two values 58deg North of East and East 58deg North seem the same. The first one seems like you are heading east and then angle upward 58deg. The second one also seem like you are heading east and then you angle 58deg north. What am I missing?

1. What do the numbers 58deg and E represent in the coordinates 58deg N of E and E 58deg N?

The number 58deg represents the latitude, or the angular distance north or south of the equator, while the letter E represents the longitude, or the angular distance east or west of the Prime Meridian.

2. How is 58deg N of E different from E 58deg N?

58deg N of E refers to a location that is 58 degrees north of the equator and east of the Prime Meridian, while E 58deg N refers to a location that is 58 degrees east of the Prime Meridian and north of the equator. The order of the coordinates is simply reversed.

3. Why is the Prime Meridian used as a reference point for longitude?

The Prime Meridian, which passes through Greenwich, England, was chosen as the reference point for longitude because it was the site of the Royal Observatory and was considered the center of world time in the 19th century. It also allowed for a standard reference point for navigation and mapping purposes.

4. How does the direction of the coordinates affect the location?

The direction of the coordinates, whether it is N or S for latitude and E or W for longitude, indicates the direction from the reference point. For example, a location with coordinates of 58deg N of E will be located north and east of the Prime Meridian, while a location with coordinates of 58deg S of E will be located south and east of the Prime Meridian.

5. Are there any other ways to represent coordinates aside from using degrees?

Yes, coordinates can also be represented using minutes and seconds. For example, 58deg 30' N would mean 58 degrees and 30 minutes north of the equator. Additionally, coordinates can also be represented in decimal form, with the degrees, minutes, and seconds converted to a decimal number. For example, 58.5deg N would be the same as 58deg 30' N.