1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Directions of Vectors

Tags:
  1. Sep 14, 2018 #1
    What's the difference between saying that a vector's direction is north of east and north east?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2018 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Northeast is 45 degrees north of east. 5 degrees north of east is not quite northeast, it is mostly east.

4. Sep 14, 2018 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I haven't come across this phrase in my Nav courses. There is North by North East and there is East by North East, which lie on either side of North East. However, it is more usual to use Degrees and minutes (and decimals of a minute) to describe a bearing or course.
    It's a long time since students of navigation were required to "Box the Compass", which is reciting all 32 points of the compass.

5. Sep 15, 2018 at 1:26 PM #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In intro classes, "north of east" means go "north of the eastern direction" (trying to describe a counterclockwise acute angle from the positive x-axis).

side comment:
    Then I feel compelled to ask the puzzle...
    a hunter travels one mi South, then one mi East, then one mi North and is at the same position the hunter started....
    what color bear...?
    (then ask if there are other places on Earth where one can do that sequence of steps and end up at the same place).

6. Sep 15, 2018 at 4:23 PM #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The meaning of that nomenclature is very vague. North of East could take you one minute of arc or almost 90 degrees. (Adding a N vector of undefined magnitude)
    Which 'intro classes' use it?

7. Sep 15, 2018 at 5:45 PM #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's common nomenclature in the Intro Physics forum. I'm guessing it's part of intro physics classes, before they learn the more rigorous vector polar notation standards.

8. Sep 15, 2018 at 5:56 PM #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

No better than “left hand down a bit”

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted