1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directiontal derivative

1. Mar 19, 2004 #1
    OK, I having a small problem understanding how my text book came about an answer to an example problem.

[tex]f(x,y)=4-x^2-\frac{1}{4}y^2[/tex]
    at P(1,2)

This next step is the one that's bugging me:

[tex]u^\rightarrow=\cos(\frac{\pi}{3})\imath+\sin(\frac{\pi}{3})\jmath[/tex]

This is one of those instances where something magic happens because right now I have little to no clue where the [tex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex] came from.

Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2004 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I may be wrong, but isn't that just part of the given information? I mean, you're being asked to find the directional derivative, meaning the rate of change of the function at a point in a given direction. So you know the function z=f(x,y), you're given a point P(1,2), and you're given the unit vector of the direction you're interested in.

4. Mar 19, 2004 #3
    Yeah your correct... The question is poorly written (or at least poorly formated). Thanks for showing me my stupid mistake.

5. Mar 20, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Specifically, [tex]u^\rightarrow=\cos(\frac{\pi}{3})\imath+\sin(\frac{\pi}{3})\jmath[/tex] is the unit vector point at an angle [tex]\pi/3[/tex] radians from the positive x-axis.

6. Mar 20, 2004 #5
    (Psst. Use "\vec v" in LaTeX to display a vector... :smile:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?