Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DirectX 9.0

1. Apr 8, 2003 #1
    My system is installed with Directx 8.1, good enough for all games.

Do I need diectx9.0?
    If not necessary, i will not download it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2003 #2
    You don't "NEED" it unless you are developing for 9.0, however, you'll need it soon in the future so why not just download it?

4. Apr 8, 2003 #3
    Depends on how you define 'need'. If you're happy with 8.1 so am I. I use 9.0 with win98 and winXP just because it's available (and directx8.0 with win95b). Not being a serious gamer I can only say that I've never noticed any improvement with 9.0, but then I don't think I've ever seen much improvement after installing any of the stuff I've download from Microsoft...except perhaps for the shutdown supplement for win98, I think that one helped.

5. Apr 8, 2003 #4
    How about Opengl?
    I notice there is a file opengl.dll in Windows/system32 folder,
    is this file sufficient for all opengl applications?

6. Apr 9, 2003 #5
    Most games/apps that require a certain DirectX version will have it on the cd, so you useually don't need to download it. I only know of 1 game so far that requires it (freelancer.) I'm sure there's probably more already and in the near future many will require it. However I would say don't bother unless you need it already. I downloaded it for programming purposes, but I still do most of my audio/video programmin with DirectX 7.

I'm not sure about the OpenGL, I never use it. I believe it depends on your videocard driver and the app you're using.

7. Apr 9, 2003 #6
    I don't think that file contains all the necessary stuff; it might even be just a software OpenGL implementation. But all the stuff you need for it will be installed along with your video card drivers.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook