Dirichlet function question

• Thread starter Bob3141592
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the Dirichlet function is a function that is 1 at rational numbers and 0 at irrational numbers. It is given algebraically as f(x) = \lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\left( \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left( Cos( k! \pi x ) ^{2n} ) ). However, if we modify this equation by substituting \Gamma(k) instead of the factorial, the limit no longer exists. There are also issues with the exponent n, which has to be integral because the cosine is negative half the time. This function does not say anything about the real numbers, but more about how limits work. It can also be seen as a way to
Bob3141592
I have a question about the Dirichlet function, which is 1 at the rationals and 0 at the irrationals. I had thought this was an "arbitrary" definition, but then I saw the function given algebraically as f(x) = [tex] \lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\left( \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left( Cos( k! \pi x ) ^{2n} ) )[/tex] I understand how rational x is p/q and eventually the k! will multiply out the denominator leaving an even multiple of pi in the cosine for 1. An irrational x always produces a cosine less than 1, which the even exponent then drives to a strictly positive zero. Each point converges, but it's nowhere continuous. That seems clear enough, but still there's something about how all this works that I find disturbing.

If we were to modify this equation just a little bit, by substituting [tex]\Gamma(k)[/tex] instead of the factorial, we have a completely different situation. The limit no longer exists. There's a similar issue with the exponent n, which has to be integral because the cosine is negative half the time. Yet the second function contains the first. Especially as they approach infinity, why should this make any difference?

The more I think about it the more mixed up I get. Are there any rules about how to handle these mixing of cardinalities?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is important and implied that n and k are natural numbers. If you take them real of complex the limit will not exist.

Yes, but then I guess my question is why is it important? I'd always thought the Dirichlet function said something about the real numbers, but lately I'm thinking it doesn't. The restricting of k to integers is a narrow filter, and it's like the difference in cardinalities is an impedance mismatch. You can't make a clear reading that way. It's like trying to map the ocean by only looking at the tops of the waves. The sampling error can eliminate the entire signal.

Perhaps my unease is because the function doesn't say anything about the real numbers, but more about how limits work. Does this function only mean that I can impose a discontinuous facade on a continuous structure if I sample a negligible number of points? Is that correct? And would that imply that when I take the limit to a point, there are attributes of that point that can be different if I take the limit in a different way?

If no limit exists when [tex]\Gamma(k)[/tex] varies continuously, then I haven't distinguished between rationals and irrationals in the reals. That distinction is an artifact of the restrictions in the limit process chosen. Well, that may be overstating things, since I'm not sure I understand what I'm trying to say. Something to do with mixing of cardinalities bringing nothing but trouble, at least to me.

You could also construct something like

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \sin^2 (k \pi x) \right[/tex]

I'm too lazy to put in convergence factors, but it could be done. If x is rational, the product must terminate (and is equal to 0). Otherwise, it never terminates, and I think with care you could make it equal to 1 (by inserting something appropriate).

Another fun one is g=lim n*sin(2pi*x*n!).
In particular
g(e)=2pi
g(rational number)=0

In calculus one likes continuous functions, or at least almost continuous. If one wants to tell rational and irrational numbers apart one need a very discontinuous function.

"Does this function only mean that I can impose a discontinuous facade on a continuous structure if I sample a negligible number of points?"
Would a continuous facade on a discontinuous structure be less objectionable? We are defining a discontinous function, the discontinuity has to come from somewhere.
"Is that correct?"
yes
"And would that imply that when I take the limit to a point, there are attributes of that point that can be different if I take the limit in a different way?"
No, the other limit would fail in its purpose. Even if the limit were used to define the property, using a different limit would define a different version of the property. Like in integration we have many versions of integrable depending which limit we use.
"If no limit exists when varies continuously, then I haven't distinguished between rationals and irrationals in the reals. "
The function is well defined. It distinguished between rationals and irrationals in the reals. That limit is just a particular way to compute the function. If you do not like
lim (1+x/n)^n
it does not mean you dislike exp(x), it can be repressented differently.
"That distinction is an artifact of the restrictions in the limit process chosen. "
Limit processes are often restricted. Sums and products are often taken over integers. Every limit comes with a set of permissible directions, just as every function comes with a set of permissible arguments.

1. What is the Dirichlet function?

The Dirichlet function, also known as the indicator function, is a mathematical function that takes on the value of 1 if its input is rational and 0 if its input is irrational.

2. How is the Dirichlet function defined?

The Dirichlet function is defined as: f(x) = { 1 if x is rational 0 if x is irrational }

3. What is the purpose of the Dirichlet function?

The Dirichlet function is often used to show the difference in behavior between rational and irrational numbers in mathematics. It is also used to prove the existence of discontinuous functions.

4. Is the Dirichlet function continuous?

No, the Dirichlet function is not continuous. It has discontinuities at every point, as the function takes on the value of 1 for rational numbers and 0 for irrational numbers.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Dirichlet function?

The Dirichlet function has applications in signal processing, where it can be used to identify periodic signals that are composed of rational numbers. It is also used in cryptography for generating random numbers and in number theory for studying the distribution of prime numbers.