1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Dirichlet problem

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex] B_R = \{ x \in \mathbb{R}^n: |x| < R \}. [/tex] Calculate the solution of the following Dirichlet problem:

[tex] -\Delta v = 1 [/tex] in [tex] B_R [/tex]
    [tex] u = 0 [/tex] on [tex] \partial B_R [/tex]

Calculate the solution of the problem.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the solution must be radial for trivial considerations on the invariance of laplacian under orthogonal transformations and the uniqueness of the solution.
    I thought about integrating a Green function for the problem, but what Green function?
    There must be an easier way I'm missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a lot easier way. You should be able to guess a solution. What's the laplacian of |x|^2?

4. Feb 22, 2010 #3
    Please don't tell me that the solution is simply [tex] - \frac{1}{2n}|x|^2 - R^2 [/tex] 'cause I'm gonna shoot myself in the head.

5. Feb 22, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to shoot yourself in the head. It's not right. But it's ALMOST right. Adjust your constant.

6. Feb 22, 2010 #5
    Of course. You don't know how many lines I've written and how much effort I've put into trying to find a Green function to integrate.
    Maybe you can tell me if I'm missing something similarly trivial here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=380559 [Broken]

and finally pull the trigger.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Feb 22, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, that one's not so clear to me as the other one. I'll try and give it some thought.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook