Disabling helper apps in systray

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apps
In summary, disabling "helper" apps in the systray, such as Real, Quicktime, or iTunes, can be done by running msconfig.exe and disabling processes that start up with the system on the "startup" tab. However, some applications have preferences that can be set to control their startup behavior. Another option is to use a program like Autoruns or Spybot to manage startup commands and clean out malware. These programs are available for free from their respective websites.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
disabling "helper" apps in systray

Cockroaches.

How do I disable these "helpful" apps in my systray (such as Real, or Quicktime or iTunes)?

It's Run: boot.ini - or something like that?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is it running msconfig.exe what you are thinking of? You can disable processes that start up with your system there. I've only ever fiddled with the stuff on the 'startup' tab. However my quicktime seems to have a habit of coming back even when disabled.

Last edited:
Some of those applications are :grumpy: nice enough to set some "Preferences" for you... like whether they start with Windows or have a tray icon.

If you want to just control what gets started with Windows, go get http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html [Broken], which looks in numerous places for commands that startup and allows you to disable [and re-enable] them. This and other very useful utilities are available from the homepage. Oh, yeah... they are freeware.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer to use Spybot (in advanced mode), as it also includes other utilities and helps clean out malware properly.

1. What are helper apps in systray?

Helper apps in systray are small applications that run in the background of your computer's operating system. They typically appear as icons in the system tray, also known as the notification area, and provide quick access to certain features or functions.

2. Why would I want to disable helper apps in systray?

Disabling helper apps in systray can free up system resources and improve the overall performance of your computer. It can also help declutter the system tray and make it easier to access the apps that you actually use.

3. How do I disable helper apps in systray?

The process for disabling helper apps in systray varies depending on your operating system, but generally you can right-click on the app's icon in the system tray and select "Exit" or "Quit." You can also go into the app's settings or preferences and look for an option to disable it from running in the background.

4. Will disabling helper apps in systray affect the functionality of my computer?

In most cases, disabling helper apps in systray will not affect the overall functionality of your computer. However, if you disable a helper app that is essential for certain system functions, it could cause issues. It's best to research the specific app before disabling it to ensure it won't affect your computer's performance.

5. Can I re-enable helper apps in systray after disabling them?

Yes, you can usually re-enable helper apps in systray by simply opening the app again or going into its settings and turning it back on. However, it's important to note that re-enabling the app may also cause it to start running in the background again and using system resources.