Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disappearance of posts and threads

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    I noticed just now that all the posts of and threads started by a member have disappeared. When I requested "all posts made by him" or "all threads started by him", the return was something like "no match". Why is that so?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who was the member?
    If you don't want to discuss it here, send a PM to Greg or chroot.

4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    Thank you for your reply. Without intending to sound billigerent, I think policy should be discussed openly.

5. Mar 14, 2005 #4
  6. Mar 14, 2005 #5
    Obviously not being the poster banned, I am not sufficiently "interested" in requesting to be informed the reason of being banned, I will forego that point anyway. What I do not understand however is why are all the posts and threads of the banned poster obliterated? What purpose does it serve to do away all the evidence of his prior existence?

7. Mar 14, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The type of action taken depends on the situation. I would think that if it is determined that there are a large number of posts that need to be removed, it may be easier to do a single mass edit rather than trying to locate and delete each post individually.

8. Mar 14, 2005 #7
    With the greatest respect, "a large number of posts that need to be removed"? Surely you cannot be suggesting dereliction on the part the relevant Supermentor for such "a large number of posts" to have come about in the first place?

9. Mar 14, 2005 #8

Evo

You do not know the circumstances and in order to protect member privacy, we will not discuss the reasons here.

10. Mar 14, 2005 #9
    No kidding. I had no intention of breaking the rules; if anyone notified me that I was breaking any rules at time time I was breaking them, I would certainly have stopped. For all the bombast, I have consistently admitted error when error is to be found, and I am always as reasonable as I can be. I take pride in both of those things. Please let me know by PM or email what the error was, and how long the ban is.

11. Mar 14, 2005 #10

Evo

You were pm'd by another mentor earlier.

12. Mar 14, 2005 #11
    I have not been told what the infringement was and I have not been told the duration of the ban. I have asked.

13. Mar 14, 2005 #12

russ_watters

You have been told the infringement and the duration is indefinite.

14. Mar 14, 2005 #13
    I have been informed only in vague terms. I have not been informed of the specific infringement(s). Last question is, am I, in fact, banned?

15. Mar 14, 2005 #14
    If, as I am beginning to gather, I am not actually banned but placed into a different category called "ignore" and thus may continue to post under a different name, I need to know specifically what I may do to avoid being placed into that category again.

16. Mar 14, 2005 #15
    If the username was banned then his name was most likely deleted in the database. You may still find it if you search the posts individually, but it's very, very tedious. It's a longshot.

The person's name would appear un-highlighted and under Registered or Join Date would show up as N/A or Not Available.

17. Mar 14, 2005 #16
    TemporaryUser, please PM me or another staff member to have it discussed, we won't discuss your specific dispute here.

18. Mar 14, 2005 #17
    Yes, I noticed "this person's" posts being gone. Why? I'm really curious as to find out what he was doing wrong. If it's too much to tell, it's OK.

19. Mar 14, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the problem was bad enough to require making the posts disappear, I'm sure the reasons do not need to be discussed publicly. I don't think it's appropriate for us to discuss any specific individual here, and instead to permit them to discuss the matter privately with the administration to determine if there is an agreement and resolution that can be reached to restore their status on the board or not.

20. Mar 14, 2005 #19
    If he was even oblivious as to what he did wrong, I assumed the problem shouldn't be "all that bad."

Oh well, I was just curious. It's OK.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  21. Mar 14, 2005 #20

Evo

Knavish, it's only normal for you to ask.

This is why threads of this type should not be opened. What is taking place between a member and the staff is a private issue. Drawing everyone's attention to a problem that is being worked out can be very embarrassing for the member. It's possible it's not a big deal, which in this case it's not, or perhaps it is the member's request (we have had members request that we delete all of their posts before), but making a public announcement puts the spotlight on that member.

Let's all keep our noses in our own business.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?