Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disappeared science helpers

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    I was looking at some old threads
    There I found some answers really helpful but the sad thing is their answerers are no longer there in physics forum.Some have last visited in 2013 some have in 2012.Where did they go?They were very active and responsible in helping others why they then suddenly stopped posting?I really miss tiny-tim.And now bystander has also not visited for one week I am afraid if he would have also left this amazing forum.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We are all but sailors carried by the capricious currents of life. Sometimes we chance upon a calmer spell, set adrift in slow waters where the tired hands can rest and the mind can wander. Then we alight on a quiet lagoon or a stretch of sand, and meet others to tell stories and exchange what little wisdom we gathered.
    But none tarry too long. Some get carried away to lands rich and exotic, never looking back. Some get back on the busy route they once took a break from, hoping to come back if time permits. Others board their vessels only to get swallowed by the vastness of the sea, for some boats are old and leaky, while some are just less seaworthy than we'd wish them to be.
    So while the lagoon remains, its inhabitants come and go. And that's how it should be.

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

One thing I have noticed is that people who come with questions have grown more entitled, more demanding, and less grateful than in the past. It should not be surprising if people find other activities to occupy their time,

5. Apr 7, 2015 #4
    Bandersnatch, that's not just a post on an internet forum. That's poetry :kiss:.

6. Apr 7, 2015 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Copyright it!

7. Apr 7, 2015 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh. It's open source :smile:

8. Apr 7, 2015 #7
    Back in my day, we walked 20 miles to the forum, uphill both ways, and we were thankful for it!

9. Apr 7, 2015 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You had legs? You had hills? You're lucky!

10. Apr 7, 2015 #9
    Luxury. We used to live in a lake.

11. Apr 7, 2015 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, I did that too, but barefoot and carrying my crippled sister on my back so she could participate.

12. Apr 7, 2015 #11
    Very true. It also happens in real life.

I sometimes leave, but it's because I'm like super random. So I guess other people are super random too.

13. Apr 8, 2015 #12

Intrastellar

Gold Member

By the past, do you mean the earlier years of PF ? What do you think is the reason for this ?

14. Apr 8, 2015 #13
    I'm guessing human nature. Look at human kids from 2015. They've grown more entitled, more demanding and less grateful than those kids in say the 1960's. It's just an example, I was definitely very far from being born in the 1960s. More than 30 years before I was born so I don't know how grateful were those kids, but I'm guessing more than today. Just like when the 1930s kids were probably grateful for the little food their parent's could provide them while the 1960's kids were probably not so much as they probably didn't deemed it important to be. (These are suppositions of mine, impossible to know with certainty without a social study.)

15. Apr 9, 2015 #14
    I contacted SAs who we hadn't seen in awhile a few months ago and most replied back saying interests had changed or amount of free time changed. They had nothing but good things to say about PF and hoped in the future they'd find the time.

Over the course of our 14 year history we've had many active members come and go. I miss many of them. Luckily we generally seem to replace those we lose. It's just the nature of a community.

16. Apr 10, 2015 #15
    Does anyone of you know where Bystander and tiny tim are?

17. Apr 12, 2015 #16

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I could be wrong, but I heard they both stalked off in a huff because they weren't given the Bieber avatar. :biggrin:

18. Apr 12, 2015 #17
    "NOT COOL!".

19. Jul 14, 2015 #18
    bystander is back.I am really happy :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

20. Aug 31, 2015 #19
    Now your name suits you perfectly,you are truly a @Bystander .Far ,aside from my threads.

21. Aug 31, 2015 #20
    Look at human kids from 200 BC. They've grown more entitled, more demanding and less grateful than those kids in say the 300 BC's. It's just an example, I was definitely very far from being born in the 300 BC's. More than 2297 years before I was born so I don't know how grateful were those kids, but I'm guessing more than the kids in the 200 BC's. Just like when the 400 BC's kids were probably grateful for the little food their parents could provide them while the 300 BC's kids were probably not so much as they probably didn't deemed it important to be. (These are suppositions of mine, impossible to know with certainty without a social study).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook