Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disappearing post

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The OP violated a PF rule by bumping his post after a very short time. Bumping a post is only allowed after 24 hours of no responses. His bump and your response both were deleted. Sorry you were collateral damage!

4. Aug 10, 2012 #3
    I could imagine that deleting good willing posts of homework helpers as collateral damage can be a bit discouraging to help a next time. After all it could just be a waste of effort, as the helping post can always be deleted as collateral damage. Wouldn't that be a bit against the primary objective of PF?

5. Aug 10, 2012 #4

berkeman

Agreed. But it turns out that LCKurtz' post was mostly about the premature bump itself:

So hopefully LCK is okay with the deletion.

6. Aug 10, 2012 #5
    The problem with hiding and deleting is that the message gets distorted. Without this clarification homework helpers just may get the wrong impression from this thread. There is a reason for Gorbatjov's perestroika.

7. Aug 10, 2012 #6

berkeman

Yes, that is a good point. I'll undelete the bump and LCK's reply, and comment in the thread about the premature bump. That's probably a better approach after there has been a reply.

8. Aug 10, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My preferences, in order of desirability would have been:

First choice: Moderator issues a public or private warning or whatever is deemed appropriate to the OP and leaves the thread intact.

Second choice: Moderator issues a warning, edits out my comment about the bump, and leaves the hint. Note that the OP apparently saw my post before it was deleted and used the hint. The deletion of the hint leaves the thread incomplete.

That being said, I don't really care all that much how it was handled. It doesn't affect my life much no matter what happens on PF. :smile:

9. Aug 10, 2012 #8

jedishrfu

can you define what a post bump is? Is it merely posting again after you didn't see any response from others?

10. Aug 10, 2012 #9

berkeman

BUMP = "Bump up my post"

It refers to bumping your thread from down the page up to the top of the forum page by adding a reply. It's done to try to get the thread more attention.

The PF rules say that posters are allowed only one bump per thread, and the thread has to have not gotten any replies for 24 hours before that single bump is made.

11. Aug 10, 2012 #10

jtbell

As the mentor who originally handled this case, I agree with the second choice. I should have edited your post so as to leave your hint visible. I've actually done that sort of thing in the past, but didn't do it this time because I was in a hurry, or overly irritated by the very short "bumping period", or something. Sorry about that. :blushing:

As for the first choice, I think most of us prefer to warn people privately so as not to embarass them by leaving it visible forever. One exception is when a previously productive thread seems to be veering towards excessive speculation, and we post a general public warning as a heads-up to everyone without targeting a specific person.

12. Aug 10, 2012 #11
    Does adding some extra information in next post count as bump?
    <Of-course you could edit your OP, but newbies don't know about that>

13. Aug 10, 2012 #12

Evo

If it was absolutely necessary in order to explain the question, that's ok.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook