Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disarming an alarm system

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last night, when I was leaving work, our security alarm system went off. A coworker had set it before leaving, unaware that I was still in the office. Luckily, I had received some video training in disabling such a system.

I hope this will be useful to others in such a situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2
    Thanks, it helped me a lot. Now I won't half to stand there, screaming while running in ever smaller circles untill the cops show up.

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3

RonL

Gold Member

Just what i needed this morning:rofl:
    I can now show my wife, that i'll be getting my money's worth out of this site.:biggrin:

5. Feb 13, 2008 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just glad I was able to shut the thing off before they released the hounds. Whew!

6. Feb 13, 2008 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well that happened to me one time. I was working late in my room in the back of the office, and the president of the company left just before I did. He forgot I was working and set the alarm, which I heard him do. There is a 30 second delay before the alarm is activated, in order to allow someone to set the alarm and exit the office.

The alarm system was linked to the doors, which had timing delays of 30 seconds, but in the office there were area motion detectors which had instantaneous triggers. I thought I had enough time to get to alarm and turn it off - but I didn't make it!

I was able to turn off the alarm, but a signal had already been sent to the local police department, so I had to call the office manager to find out where she kept the contact information, which I eventually found. Then I had to call the police and give them some code, which indicated I wasn't a burglar who happened to disable the alarm.

If I had taken a little more time to think of a solution, I should have simply exited my office through the window, walked around the building and entered the office by the door.

Oh well. Next time I'll know what to do.

7. Feb 13, 2008 #6
    Yeah, get caught climbing out a window with an alarm going off. I don't care if your name is on the side of the building you're going to spend a few minutes in hand cuffs in the back seat of a car.

8. Feb 13, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that the voice of experience speaking? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?