Find the Height of an Inclined Plane for a Rolling Disk

In summary, the problem states that a solid disk is rolling without slipping down an inclined plane. The formula used for the inertia of the disk is incorrect, and both kinetic and rotational energy need to be included in the energy balance equation. The correct equation to use is mgh = (1/2)mv^2, where h is the height of the inclined plane, m is the mass of the disk, v is the angular velocity of the disk, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.
juggalomike
1. The problem statement, all variables and given known data
A solid disk of radius 1.60 m and mass 2.30 kg rolls without slipping to the bottom of an inclined plane. If the angular velocity of the disk is 4.9 rad/s at the bottom, what is the height of the inclined plane?

Homework Equations

mgh=1/2*I*W^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried using conservation of energy

2.3*9.81*x=.5*(2.30*1.60^2)*4.99^2
x=3.19

but that is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Your formula for the inertia of a solid disk is incorrect.

2) What other energy is in your system that you have not yet accounted for?

calef said:
1) Your formula for the inertia of a solid disk is incorrect.

2) What other energy is in your system that you have not yet accounted for?

ah your right about the inertia part, but I am not sure what other energy? if the disc is at the bottom of the hill H=0 so mgh is not a factor, and i would use EITHER kinetic or rotational energy right? not both?

juggalomike said:
ah your right about the inertia part, but I am not sure what other energy? if the disc is at the bottom of the hill H=0 so mgh is not a factor, and i would use EITHER kinetic or rotational energy right? not both?

Remember, your ball is rolling without slipping. So you do have to include both the rotational and kinetic.

The energy balance equation you wrote doesn't easily correspond to a physical situation, so imagine, instead, you wrote:

mgh = (1/2)mv^2

This would correspond to a ball sliding down the plane not slipping at all.

I suppose you could make a case for your energy balance equation being something like a disk sitting in an elevator going down with constant velocity, where the farther down it goes, the more your disk spins, in direct proportion to the lost gravitational potential.

But you definitely have to include both kinetic energies in your case.

1. How does the shape of the disc affect its rolling down a hill?

The shape of the disc can greatly impact its rolling down a hill. A disc with a round shape will experience less resistance and friction, allowing it to roll faster and farther. On the other hand, a disc with a flat shape may experience more resistance and friction, causing it to roll slower and not as far.

2. What factors contribute to the speed of a disc rolling down a hill?

The speed of a disc rolling down a hill depends on several factors, including the angle of the hill, the surface of the hill, the shape of the disc, and any external forces such as wind or obstacles. The steeper the hill, the faster the disc will roll. A smooth surface with minimal friction will also allow the disc to roll faster.

3. How does gravity affect the motion of a disc rolling down a hill?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the motion of a disc rolling down a hill. Gravity is the force that pulls the disc towards the center of the earth, causing it to accelerate down the hill. The steeper the hill, the stronger the force of gravity, and the faster the disc will roll.

4. Can the mass of a disc affect its rolling down a hill?

Yes, the mass of a disc can have an impact on its rolling down a hill. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to move it. Therefore, a heavier disc may require more force to overcome its inertia and start rolling down the hill.

5. How can friction affect the motion of a disc rolling down a hill?

Friction can significantly affect the motion of a disc rolling down a hill. Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object. When a disc is rolling down a hill, it experiences friction from the surface of the hill, which can slow it down and reduce its speed and distance traveled.