1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discerning majors-jobs

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1
    Hey guys, first post on here! I've done a bit of reading and searching but wanted to ask specific questions.

I've got an odd idea on what I will be doing but am willing to work towards what I want.

I restarted school after a 6 year hiatus last year. Initially, I wanted to get an exercise science degree so that I could get to Physical Therapy school. Once realizing what actually happens if I don't make it to PT school (no, I really don't want to be a personal trainer), I searched for what I enjoy doing and how a major could relate to that best. Cars, racing, space, physics. These all excite me greater than anything other than the human body and basketball.

My idea: Take pre-reqs for PT school (3 bio classes, 3 chem classes and basic maths) then move on to a Physics degree in case I don't make it to grad school (I will though!).

My main questions:
    Can I get a BS in physics and work with engineering? I'm thinking medical equipment and/or automotive industry.

Does a BA in physics work any differently?

I suppose I should include my pre-reqs if it helps any.

Biology 160
    Biology 241, 242 (Anatomy and Physiology)
    Math 141 (pre-calc 1) (142 summer term)
    Chemistry 121
    English 101

I want to attend Eastern Washington U, but am open to any other options as I don't really mind where I go but really want to finish my education.

I appreciate any and all responses, even the criticism!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You *can* work in engineering with a physics degree, but it can be very difficult, particularly in a slower economy. If you really want to have engineering as a backup career, your best bet would be to enroll in an engineering program. Generally speaking, physics graduate school should be a serious possibility for you if you enroll as a physics undergraduate. Or maybe a desire to be a teacher. But physiotherapy as a primary with engineering as a backup - you're likely better off to study engineering.

You mean compared to a BSc? It depends on the school.

4. Jun 18, 2015 #3
    Awesome, thanks a ton for your input! It's hard to get a hold of an adviser at all.

I'm looking particularly at Eastern Wa U, that's why I asked about BS in physics.

http://www.ewu.edu/cstem/programs/physics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook