1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dischargeing a capacitor

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    I have a test coming up and i know what some question will be on. One question is about the time it takes to discharge a capacitor from "full" to a given point or percent of initial charge. How would i go about doing this.

I know the it has to do with the time constant RC and the equation of discharging a capacitor i just don't know how i would find the time it takes.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You said you know the equation for discharging a capacitor, so what is that equation? Is it not an equation for the TIME to discharge a capacitor? If not, what is it?

4. Apr 12, 2014 #3
    well i guess i should have said i think i need to use it and its [q=q(naught)e^(-t/RC)]

5. Apr 12, 2014 #4
    does it just become [(percent droped)=e^(t/rc) i will probably be given r and c

6. Apr 12, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, you have right idea, so now how do you solve that for t ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted