Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discharging and electrolysis

1. May 25, 2015 #1
    Is there any difference between process of discharging and process of electrolysis? (I found the products same in both the case when discharging and electrolysis process are carried out for NaCl aqueous sol.)

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Discharging of what? And how?

4. May 25, 2015 #3
    I was asking about the process of discharging (converting them to neutral atoms) the cation and anion in accordance with their discharging potential.

5. May 25, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have never heard about "discharging potential", but technically these are related. However, we more or less know what we are talking about when we say "electrolysis", but "discharging" doesn't mean much to me.What are conditions required for the process, how is it technically done?

6. May 31, 2015 #5
    Sorry for a delayed reply..... I got that doubt cleared from my teachers. They said both the terms are same. The word Discharging in the content was just meant to elaborate the concept of gaining or losing electrons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook