Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disconnect at 11.8V HOW? Please help!

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,

I am building an electric racecar for university and I'm stuck!. It has to be run on car batteries and it can only use one at a time... many people are just using an excellent battery with a great amp-hour rating... but I'd like to switch batteries halfway through...

I want to disconnect a car battery when it reaches 11.8V and possibly using an adjustable voltmeter/detector?

Please help, any advice would be great!

Thank you!
    -Tom

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're not going to build much of a race car with only one 12V battery at a time. A single 12V battery, even at 100 amperes of current, is only providing 1,200 watts of power. This is about the same amount of power generated by a lawnmower engine.

- Warren

4. Jul 24, 2008 #3
    There are plenty of battery voltage detector chips about.

Maxim make a shedload.

Combined with suitably zonky Power mosfets, then bob's yer uncle.

5. Jul 24, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You Brits sure talk funny :rofl:

6. Jul 25, 2008 #5
    We've had centuries to practice... :biggrin:

Zonky, by the by, means "large" as in >100A Id(on).

7. Jul 25, 2008 #6
    One way for a warning system would be to setup a diode with a resistor (or trim pot) combination that switches at 11.8V.

8. Jul 25, 2008 #7

stewartcs

Science Advisor

What the heck does "then bob's your uncle" mean?

CS

9. Jul 25, 2008 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It means you're problems are solved

Historical note:
    Robert Gascoyne-Cecil,was prime minister in the 1890 and was a big fan of nepotism - appointing his nephew as minister, so if Robert (bob) was your uncle you didn't have any problems getting a job.

Interestingly neptosim is from the Italian for nephew and comes from Pope's giving appointments to their (cough) nephews (cough)

10. Jul 25, 2008 #9

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Ah...Thanks.

CS

11. Jul 25, 2008 #10

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

12. Jul 25, 2008 #11

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do I understand that both batteries will be in the car at all times, and you want a circuit that electrically switches over to battery #2 when battery #1 reaches 11.8V?

If this is for a contest, how will you convince the judges that only one battery is being used at a time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?