1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discontinuity math help

1. Dec 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f is a function with the property that every point of discontinuity is removable. There are infinitely many such points in f's domain. Define [tex] g(x) = \lim_{ y \to x } f(y) [/tex]. Prove g is continuous

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wanted to maybe conclude something from showing g is bounded but I didn't really get anything there. I was wondering if you could give me a hint, but DON'T GIVE ME A SOLUTION yet. Should I be using straight forward definition or take some other route?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2009 #2
    Re: Discontinuity

You should be able to do this by following the definitions in a straightforward manner, more or less using only the concepts of limit and continuity. The key is that when you are examining the behavior of [tex]g[/tex] on an interval, you can transfer statements about [tex]g[/tex] at a point to statements about [tex]f[/tex] on a smaller interval.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook