Constructing Discontinuous Functions at Specific Points

• Thread starter Kate2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses finding two functions, f and g, that are discontinuous at certain points but continuous everywhere else. Possible solutions include defining f(x) and g(x) as 1/g(x) where g(x) is a step function with appropriate arguments, or defining f(x) and g(x) as -1 for x less than or equal to 0, 1/x for 0<x<1, and 2 for x greater than 1.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

I have to find f: R [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R which is discontinuous at the points of the set {1/n : n a positive integer}[tex]\cup[/tex] {0} but continuous everywhere else.

Also find g: R [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R which is discontinuous at the points of the set {1/n : n a positive integer}but continuous everywhere else.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Could I define f as f(x) = 1/(integer(x) -1) for x [tex]\in[/tex] [0,1) (where integer means round up to next integer), f(x) = x otherwise.

Similarly for g, can I say g(x) = 1/(integer(x) -1) for x [tex]\in[/tex] (0,1) (where integer means round up to next integer), g(x) = x otherwise.

I'm not too sure about these functions but cannot think of any more 'normal' ones that would satisfy the criteria.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking for a 'normal' function, you probably want f(x) = 1/g(x), where g(x) has a zero at every integer n and at 0. In that case, I can think of a suitable g(x) off the top of my head.

By the way, note that restricting the domain to [0, 1) or (0, 1) does not define a function on R.

Can I say f(x) = 1/g(x) where:
g(x) = 0 if x is in (0,1)
g(x) = 1 otherwise

Well no, since then you are having it be discontinuous on (0,1). Perhaps try 1/g, where g is a step function with an appropriate argument so that you get 1/x back when x is of the form 1/n, but the left and right limits as you approach an x of this form are different fractions altogether.

I think I may be confused about what 'at the points of the set' means, does it just mean the end points, I thought it meant all points in the set?

So for {1/n: n a positive integer} U {0} could I say:
f(x) = -1, x<0
f(x) = -1/2, x=0
f(x) = 1/x, 0<x<1
f(x) = 2, x>1

For {1/n: n a positive integer} I could change this to:
f(x) = -1, x[tex]\leq[/tex]0
f(x) = 1/x, 0<x<1
f(x) = 2, x>1

1. What is a discontinuous function?

A discontinuous function is a mathematical function that has at least one point where it is not continuous. This means that there is a break or interruption in the function's graph, where the function is not defined or the value of the function changes abruptly.

2. What types of discontinuities can a function have?

A function can have three types of discontinuities: removable, jump, and infinite. A removable discontinuity occurs when a point is missing from the graph, but the function can be defined at that point by filling in the gap. A jump discontinuity occurs when the function has two distinct values on either side of a point. An infinite discontinuity occurs when the function approaches positive or negative infinity at a certain point.

3. How are discontinuous functions different from continuous functions?

A continuous function is one that is defined and has a value at every point on its graph, with no breaks or interruptions. A discontinuous function, on the other hand, has at least one point where it is not defined or where there is a break in its graph. This means that a continuous function can be drawn without lifting your pencil, while a discontinuous function cannot.

4. What is the significance of studying discontinuous functions?

Studying discontinuous functions allows us to better understand the behavior of mathematical functions and their graphs. It also helps us identify where a function is not defined or where its behavior changes abruptly, which can be important in various applications such as engineering, physics, and economics.

5. Can a discontinuous function still be useful?

Yes, a discontinuous function can still be useful in certain situations. For example, the function may have a jump discontinuity at a specific point, but it can still accurately model the behavior of a system or phenomenon. In some cases, a discontinuous function may also have practical applications, such as in signal processing or data compression.