Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Cosine Transform

1. Jun 22, 2006 #1
    Hello,

Suppose I have a discrete function of a perfect cosine wave.
    So if I will do a DCT on this function I will get one non zero coefficient which corresponds to the perfect cosine wave, and the rest will be zero.
    Now I have a pass filter, which filters out anything with a frequency which is different from the original cosine wave.
    If I will do this filter on the DCT I did to the cosine wave, then no coefficient should change.
    Now, suppose I have a second function which is also a perfect cosine wave of the same frequency as the cosine wave in the first function, but with a different phase.
    So the DCT of the second function will give me many non zero coefficients.
    If will pass the same filter I did on the first function DCT, then I will loose many coefficient and the result will be some wave which is weaker then the second function original cosine wave.
    Is that true?

Basicaly I am trying to find the "obvious" frequency of a discrete wave.
    Lets say I have a pure triangle wave. Doing DCT on it will produce a lot of coefficients of different frequencies, but how do I discover the obvious frequency of the triangle wave from these coefficients?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted