1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete fallacious proof

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Alright here it is:

Theorem: if there exists an x belonging to reals such that (x^2)-x-2=(x^2)-4 then 1=2.

Remark: note that there is such an x belonging to reals.

Proof:

1) by hypothesis assume there exists an X belonging to reals such that (x^2)-x-2=(x^2)-4

2)factor each side,

3)resulting in (x-2)(x+1)=(x-2)(x+2)

4)divide each side by (x-2),

5)resulting in x+1=x+2

6)subtract x from each side, resulting in 1=2

1) What terminology (quantifiers, predicates) can be used to express the entire statements 1,3,5

2)Why is this proof fallacious, refer to statements by their numbers. Hint: What are the domains for each statement?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, my attempt at part one (is
    Theorem: ([tex]\exists[/tex]X [tex]\in[/tex][tex]\Re[/tex]) [tex]\right arrow[/tex] ((x^2)-x-2=(x^2)-4))

Statement 1: [tex]\exists[/tex]X [tex]\in[/tex][tex]\Re[/tex] ((x^2)-x-2=(x^2)-4))

Statement 3:[tex]\exists[/tex]X [tex]\in[/tex][tex]\Re[/tex](x-2)(x+1)=(x-2)(x+2)

Statement 5:[tex]\exists[/tex]X [tex]\in[/tex][tex]\Re[/tex]x+1=x+2

For part 2, i am quite lost, the problem is the use of existential quantifier. My guess is a division by zero somewhere, but otherwise, I need a bigger hint.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The theorem starts "there exists an X belonging to reals such that (x^2)-x-2=(x^2)-4". Okay, is that true? If not then the conclusion is false because the hypothesis is false! If it is true, what is that x? In other words, solve x^2- x- 2= x^2- 4. I will tell you right now that the hypothesis is true but once you have determined what that x is, you will see why dividing both sides of the equation by x- 2 is an error.

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    Aha! got it. Thank you so much for that. In retrospect I really should have noticed this x value.

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In retrospect, I should have been a genius!

6. Sep 30, 2008 #5

statdad

Homework Helper

Actually, in logic, when there are several hypotheses, if any single hypothesis is false the implication (hypotheses imply conclusion) is always true, simply by the nature of the formal definition of a valid argument.

the problem with this "proof" is simply that dividing by [tex] x-2 [/tex] is division by zero, since 2 is a solution to [tex] x^2 - x -2 = x^4 - 4 [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?