1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Lagrangian

1. May 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In this exercise, we are given a discrete Lagrangian which looks like this: http://imgur.com/TL0P61r. We have to minimize the discrete S with fixed point [tex]r_i[/tex] and [tex]r_f[/tex] and find the the discrete equations of motions.
    In the second part we should derive a discrete trajectory for U(r) = 0 and U(r) = mgz.
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex] j = t_i + j \Delta t[/tex] ; [tex] \Delta t = (t_f - t_i)/N [/tex]
    [tex]r_j = r(t_i + j \Delta t)[/tex]
    [tex]v_j = \frac{r_j - r_{j-1}}{\Delta t}[/tex]

j = 0, ....., N
    U(r) is the potential energy
    And the discrete action:
    [tex]S(r_j) = \sum_{j=1}^N \Delta t \left(\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{\boldsymbol{r_j} - \boldsymbol{r_{j-1}}}{\Delta t}\right)^2 - \frac{1}{2}\left(U(\boldsymbol{r_j})+ U(\boldsymbol{r_{j-1}})\right)\right)[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Since S is a function, I thought I could take the gradient and set that to 0 to derive the discrete equations of motions: [tex]
    0 = \frac{\partial}{\partial r_k} S = \sum_{j=1}^N \Delta t \left(\frac{1}{2}m\frac{\partial}{\partial r_k}\left(\frac{\boldsymbol{r_j} - \boldsymbol{r_{j-1}}}{\Delta t}\right)^2 - \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial r_k} U(\boldsymbol{r_j})+ \frac{\partial}{\partial r_k}U(\boldsymbol{r_{j-1}})\right)\right)
    \\
    \rightarrow \sum_{j=1}^N \Delta t \left(m \left(\frac{\boldsymbol{r_j} - \boldsymbol{r_{j-1}}}{\Delta t}\right)\left(\frac{\delta_{jk}-\delta_{j-1,k}}{\Delta t}\right) -\frac{1}{2} \left(\frac{\partial U(\boldsymbol{r_j})}{\partial r_k}\delta_{jk} + \frac{\partial U(\boldsymbol{r_{j-1}})}{\partial r_k}\delta_{j-1,k}\right)\right)
    \\
    \rightarrow 0 = m \left(\frac{-\boldsymbol{r_{k+1}}-\boldsymbol{r_{k-1}}+2\boldsymbol{r_k}}{\Delta t^2}\right) - \frac{1}{2} \left(\frac{\partial U(r_k)}{\partial r_k} + \frac{\partial U(r_{k+1})}{\partial r_k}\right)
    [/tex]

The first term seems to be right, it looks like F = ma at least. I am not sure about the second part though because of that factor of 1/2 and I am not sure if the derivatives of the potential energy are correct.
    For part b, I think I would have to insert the potential energy in the discrete equations of motions and integrate two times with respect to the time. But I am not sure how an integral would work here because of those indices.
    Anyways, I would be really grateful for any advice! Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think everything is good so far.
    I don't think the very last term on the right is correct. You might reconsider what the expression ##\sum_{j=1}^N \frac{\partial U(\boldsymbol{r_{j-1}})}{\partial r_k}\delta_{j-1,k}## reduces to.

4. May 26, 2016 #3
    Wouldn't it reduce to [tex] \frac{\partial U(r_{k})}{\partial r_k} [/tex] [tex]j = r_{k+1}[/tex] because only for j=k+1 the kroenecker delta would give me a 1? And when you would have [tex] \frac{\partial U(r_{k+1-1})}{\partial r_k} = \frac{\partial U(r_{k})}{\partial r_k} [/tex] and then I would have two [tex]\frac{\partial U(r_{k})}{\partial r_k}[/tex] and I could cancle the 1/2 out?

5. May 26, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

6. May 26, 2016 #5
    Hey thank you very much! Now the discrete equation looks like newtons 2nd law just as was asked :')

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted