What are the parametric equations of a line perpendicular to two given lines?

In summary, the problem is to find the parametric equations of a line passing through point A(-3,2,5) that is perpendicular to both line 1 and line 2. To solve this, you need to find the tangent vectors of line 1 and line 2, which can be done by taking the cross product of their direction vectors. This information is helpful for preparing for a unit test on this topic.
bonbon

Homework Statement

find the parametric equations of the line through A(-3,2,5) and is perpendicular to both line 1 and line 1 where

line 1: (x-4)/3=y-2=(z-3)/-2
line 2: (x,y,z)=(-1,1,5)+k(-1-2,3)

2. The attempt at a solution

i think i need to find the normal for the line 1 and line 2.. but I'm not sure.. also i have a unit test on this tomorrow.. so any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find tangent vectors to both line1 and line2. Can you start by doing that? Are you, by any chance, in the same test as passenger48?

oh i finally figured it out.. i just need to do the cross product of the two dirction vectors of the two line..

1. What is a discrete lines problem?

A discrete lines problem involves finding the number of straight lines that can be formed by connecting a set of points on a plane. This problem is often encountered in mathematics and computer science.

2. How do you solve a discrete lines problem?

To solve a discrete lines problem, you need to first identify the number of points given. Then, use the formula n(n-1)/2, where n represents the number of points, to calculate the maximum number of lines that can be formed. Finally, consider any restrictions or conditions given in the problem to determine the actual number of lines.

3. What are some real-world applications of discrete lines problems?

Discrete lines problems can be applied in various fields such as network routing, traffic flow analysis, and circuit design. They are also commonly used in computer graphics for creating and rendering 3D objects.

4. Are there any strategies for solving difficult discrete lines problems?

Yes, there are some strategies that can help in solving difficult discrete lines problems. These include breaking down the problem into smaller sub-problems, using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs, and considering different scenarios or special cases.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving discrete lines problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving discrete lines problems is to practice regularly. You can also read up on different problem-solving techniques and strategies, and try to apply them to different types of discrete lines problems. Additionally, seeking help from a mentor or participating in problem-solving groups can also aid in improving your skills.