Discrete Math Course: Conveying Material & Textbook Prep

In summary, a student would not be allowed to post a problem on physicsforums without having written anything in the "attempt at a solution" section, but they are allowed to ask for help.
Bashyboy
Hello,

This semester I am taking my first discrete math course. I am thoroughly enjoying the material, but am dreading the professor and textbook. The consensus amongst my classmates is that the professor is excessively convoluted in his conveyance of the material, and that the textbook does not prepare you for the questions at the end of the chapters. Most of the questions that involve proofs require that I follow along with the solution, but I am generally able to understand what the author is doing in each step. My question is, if I don't understand a problem, that is, if I don't even faintest clue where to begin, and I can't follow the solution from the textbook, would I get an infraction for posting the problem on physicsforums without having written anything in the "attempt at a solution" section?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been thinking, did I perhaps post this in the wrong area?

Also, if I asked a question, I wouldn't expect someone to just give me the answer, but to prod me in the right direction.

No i don't see a problem with that, in fact, i am also in discrete "structures" right now and i have asked questions about it in the homework help...i would try to attempt the solution but even if you absolutely have no idea where to start i would still post it...

If you would like to work together on a discrete problem just PM me anytime...

Bashyboy said:
Hello,

This semester I am taking my first discrete math course. I am thoroughly enjoying the material, but am dreading the professor and textbook. The consensus amongst my classmates is that the professor is excessively convoluted in his conveyance of the material, and that the textbook does not prepare you for the questions at the end of the chapters. Most of the questions that involve proofs require that I follow along with the solution, but I am generally able to understand what the author is doing in each step. My question is, if I don't understand a problem, that is, if I don't even faintest clue where to begin, and I can't follow the solution from the textbook, would I get an infraction for posting the problem on physicsforums without having written anything in the "attempt at a solution" section?

Not writing anything in the "attempt of solution" will not be allowed. But you seem to think that you need to provide half the solution already if you want to get help. This is far from true: all we want is to see that you're willing to attempt the problem yourself.

An attempt can consist out of many things, for example:

• List relevant theorems and examples from your textbook that sound similar.
  • Work out the solution in easy/extreme cases. For example, if it wants you to count how many ways we can arrange n balls, try to work out the solution for n=1,2,3,4.
  • Draw a picture (if relevant)
  • Identify knowns and unknowns.
  • Give solutions that you know are flawed and explain why they are flawed.
  • etc.

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with mathematical structures and objects that are countable or distinct in nature. It is used to model and analyze discrete systems, such as computer algorithms, networks, and databases.

2. Why is discrete math important?

Discrete math is important because it provides the foundation for understanding and solving real-world problems in computer science, engineering, and other fields. It also helps develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities that are applicable in various areas of research and industry.

3. What are some topics covered in a discrete math course?

A discrete math course typically covers topics such as logic, set theory, functions, relations, combinatorics, graph theory, and algorithms. It also includes topics related to discrete structures, such as trees, permutations, and matrices.

4. What is the best way to prepare for a discrete math course?

The best way to prepare for a discrete math course is to review basic algebra and logic principles, as well as familiarize yourself with the fundamental concepts and notation used in discrete math. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and proofs to develop critical thinking skills.

5. What are some recommended textbooks for a discrete math course?

Some recommended textbooks for a discrete math course include "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth H. Rosen, "Concrete Mathematics" by Ronald L. Graham, Donald E. Knuth, and Oren Patashnik, and "Discrete Mathematics" by Norman L. Biggs. It is important to consult with your instructor to determine the best textbook for your specific course.