1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Math Class

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    Hello,

This semester I am taking my first discrete math course. I am thoroughly enjoying the material, but am dreading the professor and textbook. The consensus amongst my classmates is that the professor is excessively convoluted in his conveyance of the material, and that the textbook does not prepare you for the questions at the end of the chapters. Most of the questions that involve proofs require that I follow along with the solution, but I am generally able to understand what the author is doing in each step. My question is, if I don't understand a problem, that is, if I don't even faintest clue where to begin, and I can't follow the solution from the textbook, would I get an infraction for posting the problem on physicsforums without having written anything in the "attempt at a solution" section?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    I've been thinking, did I perhaps post this in the wrong area?

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    Also, if I asked a question, I wouldn't expect someone to just give me the answer, but to prod me in the right direction.

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4
    No i don't see a problem with that, in fact, i am also in discrete "structures" right now and i have asked questions about it in the homework help...i would try to attempt the solution but even if you absolutely have no idea where to start i would still post it...

If you would like to work together on a discrete problem just PM me anytime...

6. Oct 19, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not writing anything in the "attempt of solution" will not be allowed. But you seem to think that you need to provide half the solution already if you want to get help. This is far from true: all we want is to see that you're willing to attempt the problem yourself.

An attempt can consist out of many things, for example:

• List relevant theorems and examples from your textbook that sound similar.
    • Work out the solution in easy/extreme cases. For example, if it wants you to count how many ways we can arrange n balls, try to work out the solution for n=1,2,3,4.
    • Draw a picture (if relevant)
    • Identify knowns and unknowns.
    • Give solutions that you know are flawed and explain why they are flawed.
    • etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook