[Discrete math]Help with a relation involving modular arithmatic and set operations.

In summary: PyUxggC&pg=PA78&lpg=PA78&dq=%22congruent+modulo+3%22+and+%22congruent+modulo+4%22&source=bl&ots=M7FBN40n2B&sig=GBGq7PIHbi392XeDdptk5VQkpsw&hl=en&ei=R5YBTb-dB4yr8Abq6antAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0
nistaria

Homework Statement

Let R1 and R2 be the "congruent modulo 3" and "congruent modulo 4" relations on the set of integers.

Homework Equations

Find:
a) R1 [tex]\cup[/tex]R2
b)R1 [tex]\cap[/tex] R2
There is also problem c, d but I won't write these here. If I am able to solve this, then the rest should be cake.

The Attempt at a Solution

my problem with this question is this: I'm not sure I understand what the question wants
Does it want all possible elements in the relation?
such as for a)
R1 [tex]\cup[/tex]R2 ={(a,b)| (3|a-b) or (4|a-b)}
Is that a valid answer?
b) R1 [tex]\cap[/tex] R2= {(a,b)| 12|a-b}

PS: I have already proved in a previous problem that
a[tex]\equiv[/tex]b(mod m) is an equivalence relation as it is transitive, symmetric and reflexive.

Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi nistaria! welcome to pf! :wink:

yes, that all looks fine :smile:

(a relation on X is just a subset of X x X, so yes you use the ordinary set union and intersection)
nistaria said:
… the rest should be cake.

hmm … candy, coffee, and now cake :rolleyes:

are you food-motivated? :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
hi nistaria! welcome to pf! :wink:

yes, that all looks fine :smile:

(a relation on X is just a subset of X x X, so yes you use the ordinary set union and intersection)

hmm … candy, coffee, and now cake :rolleyes:

are you food-motivated? :biggrin:

AHAHAHAHA
I guess you read my other posts! Give me food and you got yourself a happy camper!

According to this http://books.google.ca/books?id=guh...t modulo 3" and "congruent modulo 4"&f=false"on googlebooks, it has the same question the answer to R1 U R2 is {(a,b):a-b is congruent to 0,3,4,6,8, or 9 (mod 12)}
My school book states the same as well.
I've been trying to figure out how they came down to this conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi nistaria! :smile:
nistaria said:
According to this http://books.google.ca/books?id=guh...t modulo 3" and "congruent modulo 4"&f=false"on googlebooks, it has the same question the answer to R1 U R2 is {(a,b):a-b is congruent to 0,3,4,6,8, or 9 (mod 12)}

yes, i was wondering whether to point that out, and i looked at the question, and i couldn't see any reason to do so …

especially since there's no point in trying to identify equivalence classes since R1 U R2 simply isn't an https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=151"

personally, i think the way you wrote it is both shorter and clearer than the mod 12 way

(but maybe the rest of the question make a mod 12 answer more appropriate?)

it is 0,3,4,6,8, or 9 (mod 12) because anything divisible by 3 is 0,3,6, or 9 (mod 12), and anything divisible by 4 is 0,4 or 8 (mod 12) :wink:

… something for you to chew over! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a mathematical system that deals with integers and their remainders when divided by a certain number. It is often used in computer science and cryptography to perform operations on large numbers.

2. How is modular arithmetic related to set operations?

Modular arithmetic can be used to define equivalence relations on sets, where two elements are considered equivalent if they have the same remainder when divided by a certain number. This allows for the use of set operations such as union, intersection, and complement on these equivalence classes.

3. Can you provide an example of a relation involving modular arithmetic and set operations?

One example is the relation R on the set of integers, where two integers a and b are related if their difference is divisible by 5. This can be written as a ~ b if (a - b) mod 5 = 0. This relation can then be used to define equivalence classes and perform set operations on them.

4. How does modular arithmetic affect the properties of a relation?

Modular arithmetic can change the properties of a relation, such as reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. For example, the relation mentioned above is not reflexive, as an integer is not related to itself unless it is divisible by 5.

5. Are there any real-world applications of modular arithmetic and set operations?

Yes, modular arithmetic and set operations have many real-world applications, such as in cryptography for secure communication and in computer science for efficient data storage and retrieval. They are also used in fields such as coding theory, number theory, and signal processing.