1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Math in Physics

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    Anybody know of any uses of discrete math in physics? I learned proof by induction in discrete math. Is that used to prove anything in physics? Any other examples that you can think of?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Moonshine! :smile:

I'm not sure what discrete math covers, but I think there's plenty of uses of recurrence relations (Pn+1 is a function of Pn and/or Pn-1 etc) in physics …

for example, the proof of the quantum number going from -m to +m starts at one end, and relies on vanishing somewhere along the way. :wink:

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    Discrete maths is everywhere. For example a sum has a discrete amount of terms, everything that is countable is in fact discrete. So you are constantly working with discrete objects so it would be strange if things learned in discrete maths never occurred. But for example in statistical mechanics you do a lot of discrete things.

And if nothing else learning discrete maths teaches you how to think, like all maths does, and knowing how to think in new ways is never bad ever. Also discrete maths courses are usually pretty easy since the advanced courses are named after the sub categories of discrete.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook