How can induction be used to prove a sum of cubes formula?

In summary: Do you agree with what I've said so far? The first line is nth case of what you are supposed to show and the second is the (n+1)th. You are supposed to show the first implies the second. That's induction. Subtract the first from the second. What do you get?Proof by Induction:Show Base case is true. (n=1)Assume nth case is true.Want to show: (n+1)th case is true.Find relationship between n+1 case and n case and then use inequalities and equalities to prove it.
hammonjj
Hi guys,

Long time lurker of this forum, but first time poster. Discrete Math is going to be the end of me; I'm just not understanding how to solve problems and write the proofs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Problem:
Let nεZ≥1. Show that 1^3+3^3+5^3+...+(2n-1)^3=n^2(2n^2-1).

Proof:
I'm using induction as this seems like a prime candidate. The claim was obvious, so I found myself at this next step:

(2n-1)^3+(2(n+1)-1)^3=n^2(2n^2-1)+(2(n+1)-1)^3

From here, I just don't see how to algebraically manipulate one side to look like the other. I've been banging my head against the wall on this problem (and others) for hours now.

Help! Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
I decided to sanity check a few numbers and I think I found a problem, but I want to make sure that I am reading this right:

For 1, everything works:

[2(1)-1)]^3=(1)^2[2(1)^2-1]
1^3=1^2*1^2
1=1

But I tried 7:
[2(7)-1)]^3=(7)^2[2(7)^2-1]
(13)^3=49(97)
2197=4753

hammonjj said:
Hi guys,

Long time lurker of this forum, but first time poster. Discrete Math is going to be the end of me; I'm just not understanding how to solve problems and write the proofs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Problem:
Let nεZ≥1. Show that 1^3+3^3+5^3+...+(2n-1)^3=n^2(2n^2-1).

Proof:
I'm using induction as this seems like a prime candidate. The claim was obvious, so I found myself at this next step:

(2n-1)^3+(2(n+1)-1)^3=n^2(2n^2-1)+(2(n+1)-1)^3

From here, I just don't see how to algebraically manipulate one side to look like the other. I've been banging my head against the wall on this problem (and others) for hours now.

Help! Thanks again!

Welcome to the forums! You'll need to show how you decided that was the thing you need to prove, especially since it's not true. What you want to show is that given:

1^3+3^3+5^3+...+(2n-1)^3=n^2(2n^2-1)

that

1^3+3^3+5^3+...+(2n-1)^3+(2(n+1)-1)^3=(n+1)^2(2(n+1)^2-1)

right? The identity you want to prove is the difference between those two equations.

Dick said:
Welcome to the forums! You'll need to show how you decided that was the thing you need to prove, especially since it's not true. What you want to show is that given:

1^3+3^3+5^3+...+(2n-1)^3=n^2(2n^2-1)

that

1^3+3^3+5^3+...+(2n-1)^3+(2(n+1)-1)^3=(n+1)^2(2(n+1)^2-1)

right? The identity you want to prove is the difference between those two equations.

Thanks for the help so far. Apparently, I'm a little on the slow side from banging my head on the wall from this. Can you go an extra step or two because I still don't know how to solve this.

Thanks!

hammonjj said:
Thanks for the help so far. Apparently, I'm a little on the slow side from banging my head on the wall from this. Can you go an extra step or two because I still don't know how to solve this.

Thanks!

Do you agree with what I've said so far? The first line is nth case of what you are supposed to show and the second is the (n+1)th. You are supposed to show the first implies the second. That's induction. Subtract the first from the second. What do you get?

Proof by Induction:
Show Base case is true. (n=1)
Assume nth case is true.
Want to show: (n+1)th case is true.
Find relationship between n+1 case and n case and then use inequalities and equalities to prove it.

hammonjj said:
I decided to sanity check a few numbers and I think I found a problem, but I want to make sure that I am reading this right:

For 1, everything works:

[2(1)-1)]^3=(1)^2[2(1)^2-1]
1^3=1^2*1^2
1=1

But I tried 7:
[2(7)-1)]^3=(7)^2[2(7)^2-1]
(13)^3=49(97)
2197=4753
Yes, it is NOT true, in general, that [itex](2n-1)^3= n^2(2n^2-1)[/itex] but that is NOT what you are asked to prove. The left side is a sum of cubes, not just a single cube.

For n= 7, you want
[itex]1^3+ 3^3+ 5^3+ 7^3+ 9^3+ 11^3+ 13^3= 1+ 27+ 125+ 343+ 729+ 1331+ 2197= 4753[/itex]

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to establish statements about an infinite collection of objects. It is a method of reasoning in which the truth of a statement is established by proving that it holds for a specific case, and then showing that if it holds for one case, it must hold for the next case as well.

2. How is mathematical induction used in discrete math?

Induction is used in discrete math to prove statements about mathematical structures that are defined in terms of a finite number of elements. It is particularly useful in proving statements about recursive sequences, combinatorial identities, and set theory.

3. What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

The difference between strong and weak induction lies in the number of cases that are used to establish the truth of a statement. In strong induction, we assume that the statement holds for all previous cases, while in weak induction, we only assume that it holds for the previous case. Strong induction can be seen as a more powerful version of weak induction.

4. Can mathematical induction be used to prove all statements?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that can be written in the form of a recursive definition. It cannot be used to prove statements that are not recursively defined, such as irrationality or transcendence of numbers.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

One common mistake to avoid when using mathematical induction is assuming that the statement holds for all cases without actually proving it. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the proof and make sure that each case is properly established. Another mistake is using the wrong base case, which can lead to incorrect conclusions about the statement's truth.