1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Math/Introductory number theory problem

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1
    The instructor to my discrete mathematics course gave this question to us. How do you find the smallest achievable value(V) for which all greater values are achievable using only A and/or B, when A and B are relatively prime(coprime). For example for 5 and 7 the answer is 24 (7+7+5+5).

Playing around with other values I think the general answer is (A-1)×(B-1) but I'm not sure how to go about proving this. The instructor mention we would use induction but thats it. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook