Discrete Math vs MATLab for Physics: Which is Better?

In summary, the conversation discusses two courses, MATLAB and discrete math, and their usefulness in the field of physics. The speaker recommends taking the discrete math course, which is offered at their university, over MATLAB which they can learn on their own. Another person also suggests self-studying discrete math, and recommends a book and online lecture series as resources.
Fizex
Which one is a better course to take? I feel like MATLab is simple enough I can learn on my own if I ever need it. How useful is discrete math in physics? Should I take that now or stick to MATLab?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your uni actually offers and entire class on matlab? Thats sounds pretty stupid to me, take discrete math. Even if it doesn't end up being useful for your work in physics, at least it will help sharpen your math skills. Matlab you can learn on your own in your own free time.

Yeah, Georgia Tech offers a course on MATLAB that is required for engineers but I'm switching to physics. Anyone else want to chime in before I make a decision? I thought discrete math was used in some physics?

Side Note: I already know a lot of C++ and some Java.

I'm not sure how useful discrete math will be in pursuit of physics, but it's definitely the better of the two classes.

I've spent the last few weeks self-studying discrete mathematics and it's quite an interesting subject. A nice refresher from the typical undergrad math classes.

Thanks, I have to make a decision tomorrow before my schedule gets locked in. If a spot doesn't open in discrete by then I might have to study it myself. What books do you recommend?

Also, you may be interested in http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~wchen/ln.html" [Broken] of lectures. I find them to be wonderful for self learning and it was my starting point for discrete math.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between Discrete Math and MATLab for Physics?

Discrete Math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, while MATLab is a programming language commonly used in the field of physics. Discrete Math is more focused on theoretical concepts and proofs, while MATLab is used for practical applications and data analysis.

2. Which one is more useful for a career in physics?

Both Discrete Math and MATLab are valuable skills for a career in physics. Discrete Math is important for understanding fundamental concepts in physics, while MATLab is useful for data analysis and modeling. It ultimately depends on the specific field of physics and the type of work being done.

3. Can Discrete Math be used in MATLab?

Yes, Discrete Math concepts can be applied in MATLab through the use of functions and algorithms. Discrete Math principles, such as combinatorics and graph theory, can be used to solve problems and analyze data in MATLab.

4. Which one is more challenging to learn?

Both Discrete Math and MATLab have their own challenges. Discrete Math requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and proofs, while MATLab requires proficiency in programming and data analysis. It ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and interests.

5. Can one be used instead of the other?

Discrete Math and MATLab are complementary skills and cannot completely replace each other. Discrete Math is essential for understanding the theoretical foundations of physics, while MATLab is necessary for practical applications and data analysis. It is beneficial to have knowledge and proficiency in both areas for a well-rounded understanding of physics.