Proving Lattice Property in Dual Posets: A Discrete Math Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if a poset (S,R) is a lattice, then the dual poset (S,R-1) is also a lattice. The definition and conditions for a poset to be a lattice are mentioned, and it is shown that the supremum and infimum with respect to R-1 can be obtained by switching the roles of the supremum and infimum with respect to R. This is further explained using the example of a power set.
socratesg
I have a question from hw, the question is stated "Show that if the poset (S,R) is a lattice then the dual poset (S,R^-1) is also a lattice"

I know by Rosen theory that the dual of a Poset is also a poset but how can i prove that it is also a lattice, what def. am i missing. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
By using the fact (S, R) is a lattice, presumably.

I'm seeing all this stuff for the first time, so don't mind the detail. (S,R) is a lattice iff for each pair of elements {a,b} in S, there is an element of S denoted supR{a,b} satisfying:

1) aRsupR{a,b}, bRsupR{a,b}
2) if s in S satisfies aRs and bRs, then supR{a,b}Rs

and an element of S denoted infR{a,b} satisfying:

1) infR{a,b}Ra, infR{a,b}Rb
2) if s in S satisfies sRa and sRb, then sRinfR{a,b}

I assume that R-1 is defined by aR-1b iff bRa. If so, then we want to show that for every pair {a,b} contained in S, there is a supremum and infimum with respect to R-1. Let's go back to the supremum in (S,R), and rewrite the conditions. So:

1) aRsupR{a,b}, bRsupR{a,b}
2) if s in S satisfies aRs and bRs, then supR{a,b}Rs

becomes

1) supR{a,b}R-1a, supR{a,b}R-1b
2) If s in S satisfies sR-1a and sR-1b, then sR-1supR{a,b}

So supR{a,b} satisfies precisely the conditions required for it to be an infimum of {a,b} with respect to R-1. So if (S,R) is a lattice, then for every pair {a,b}, there is a supremum s and infimum i with respect to R. (S,R-1) is a lattice because for each {a,b} there is a supremum with respect to R-1, that being the infimum with respect to R, namely i, and there is an infimum with respect to R-1, that being the supremum with respect to R, namely s.

A good way to think of this is to think of S being the power set of some set X, and R being inclusion [itex]\subseteq[/itex]. Then sup{a,b} = [itex]a \cup b[/itex] and inf{a,b} = [itex]a \cap b[/itex]. R-1 would be containment, [itex]\supseteq[/itex] and clearly you can see why when we switch the relation around, the intersection plays the role of the union, and the union plays the role of the intersection.

1. What is a poset in discrete math?

A poset, or partially ordered set, is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements with a binary relation that is reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive. This relation determines the partial order of the elements in the set.

2. How is a poset represented?

A poset can be represented visually using a Hasse diagram, which is a directed graph with the elements of the set as vertices and the partial order relation as edges. It can also be represented algebraically using a matrix or a set of ordered pairs.

3. What is the difference between a poset and a total order?

A total order is a special type of poset where every pair of elements in the set is comparable, meaning that one element is either greater than, less than, or equal to the other. In a poset, there may be elements that are not comparable to each other.

4. What is the significance of posets in discrete math?

Posets are important in discrete math because they provide a way to model and analyze relationships and structures that are not total orders. They are used in areas such as graph theory, computer science, and optimization problems.

5. How are posets related to other mathematical structures?

Posets are closely related to other mathematical structures such as lattices, semilattices, and Boolean algebras. These structures all have partially ordered sets as their underlying structure, but differ in the properties and operations defined on them.