1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Math Proof

1. Jul 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let p(x) be a polynomial in F[x].

Show that p1(x)≈p2(x) if and only if p(x)|(p1(x)-p2(x)) is an equivalence relation

3. The attempt at a solution
    To be completely honest, I have no idea where to begin. This class has been a nightmare and this has been, by far, the worst professor I have ever had. No one in the class has any idea what is going on. I don't even really understand and to show the the second part of this is an equivalence relation.

Thanks in advance for the help. I won't be offended if you speak to me like I'm a small child as I am so lost in this class.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2012 #2
    Well what are the three properties of an equivalence relation?

4. Jul 2, 2012 #3
    In order for an equivalence relation to exist it must be symmetric, transitive and reflexive, but I don't know how to apply those.

5. Jul 2, 2012 #4
    Start out with showing p1~p1... That is, p|(p1-p1)... p1~p2 => p|(p1-p2) => p|-(p2-p1) (assuming p=/=-1) => p|(p2-p1)
    Also p1~p2 and p2~p3.. What would p1-p2+(p2-p3) look like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook