How can the complementation law in Table 1 be proven for \stackrel{=}{A} = A?

In summary, the complementation law in Table 1 states that the complement of the complement of a set A is equal to A. This can be shown by assuming that x is an element of A and taking the complement, which results in (x | x\notin A). Taking the complement of this again leads to (x | x\in A), proving that the complement of the complement is equal to A. Similarly, the domination laws state that the union of a set A and the universal set U is equal to U. This can be shown by using the definition of union and simplifying, resulting in the set U.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Prove the complementation law in Table 1 by showing
that [itex]\stackrel{=}{A} = A[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first I assumed that x is an element of A, so that [itex]A = (x | x\in A)[/itex]

by taking the complement, I got [itex](x | \neg(x\in A) \rightarrow (x | x\notin A)[/itex]

then, taking the complement of the complement is where I get stuck:

[itex](x | \neg(x \in \overline{A}) [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I have another one:
Prove the domination laws in Table 1 by showing that
A ∪ U = U

A∪U = {x| x∈A∨x∈U} = {x| x∈ A ∨ T} = {x| T}=U

This is from the solution manual. I understand all but the last step. To me, the last step seems meaningless; how could you infer anything from it?

In my original post, the arrow should actually be an equal sign.

1. What is discrete math proof?

Discrete math proof is a branch of mathematics that deals with mathematical structures that are countable or finite. It involves using logical arguments to prove the truth of mathematical statements.

2. Why is discrete math proof important?

Discrete math proof is important because it allows us to formally prove the validity of mathematical statements and theorems. It is also used in many areas of computer science, such as cryptography and algorithm analysis.

3. How do you approach a discrete math proof?

The first step in approaching a discrete math proof is to understand the problem and what needs to be proven. Then, you can start by assuming the statement is true and using logical reasoning to reach a conclusion. It's important to use clear and concise language and follow the rules of logic.

4. What are some common proof techniques used in discrete math?

Some common proof techniques used in discrete math include direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by contrapositive, and proof by induction. Each technique has its own approach, but they all involve using logical reasoning to prove a statement.

5. How can I improve my skills in discrete math proof?

The best way to improve your skills in discrete math proof is to practice regularly. You can also study and understand different proof techniques and their applications. Additionally, seeking help from a mentor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.