Is There a Surjective Function from Z+ to Z?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a function from positive integers to integers that is onto, and the belief that such a function exists due to the countable infinity of both sets. The conversation also presents a potential function that satisfies the criteria, but further exploration is desired for a potentially simpler function.
phoenixy
Hi,

Does there exist a function f: Z+ --> Z which is onto?

I had been told there such funciton exists, since both Z+ and Z are countable infinite series. Thus there exists some transformation that could map Z+ to every single Z

However, I still can't shake off the idea that since Z+ is a subset of Z, there just aren't "enough" Z+ to cover every single Z, and the 0 in Z is giving me trouble as well

Thanks for any input

Physics news on Phys.org
After goofing around with pencil and paper,

If N is a positive integer, it seems like this does the trick:

f(N)= (N/2)(-1)^N + 1/4 + (1/4)(-1)^(N+1).

This gives:
f(1)=0
f(2)=1
f(3)=-1
f(4)=2
f(5)=-2
f(6)=3
f(7)=-3

and so on. Is that the sort of function that you are talking about?

Oh wow, that looks like it.

Now I'm a firm believer of countable infinity. :smile:

Your equation will do, thanks!

I'm wondering if there is any easier function. This question isn't suppose to be a tough one.

I'll bet there is one that looks less messy, given that I just kludged that one up by trial & error.

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, rather than continuous ones. It involves the study of topics such as sets, logic, graph theory, probability, and combinatorics.

2. What are some real-world applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has a wide range of applications in computer science, engineering, finance, and other fields. Some examples include cryptography, data compression, network optimization, and analyzing algorithms.

3. How is discrete math different from other branches of mathematics?

Discrete math differs from other branches of mathematics, such as calculus or algebra, in that it focuses on discrete, countable objects rather than continuous ones. It also uses logical reasoning and proofs as its primary tools, rather than numerical computations.

4. What skills are needed to excel in discrete math?

To excel in discrete math, one needs strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills. A solid understanding of algebra, logic, and basic mathematical concepts is also important. Additionally, the ability to think abstractly and recognize patterns is helpful.

5. How can discrete math be useful in everyday life?

Discrete math can help in decision-making and problem-solving in everyday life. For example, understanding probability can help in making informed choices, while knowledge of graph theory can be useful in planning efficient routes for travel. Additionally, logical thinking skills gained from studying discrete math can be applied in various situations.