Discrete Math: Distributing 11 Cookies to 50 Children - Efficient Solution?

In summary, the problem is trying to find a way to distribute 11 chocolate chip cookies to 50 children without any ordering. There is a website that has a reasonable explanation of how to derive the formula for this.
jimmianlin

Homework Statement

If I want to know how many ways there are to distribute 11 chocolate chip cookies to 50 children, is there any way to do this without brute force?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Its actually not that simple. Let me clarify the question. The chocolate chip cookies are all identical, but the students are distinct. For instance, one cookie could be given to each student, or all cookies could be given to one child.

lanedance said:
ok so you want combinations with reptition then, which is towards the bottom of the wiki page

this site has a reasonable explanation of how to derive the formula at teh very end of the page
http://www.mathsisfun.com/combinatorics/combinations-permutations.html

You mixed up the things my friend.

He got 11 cookies and 50 children. He need to distribute the 11 cookies on different ways to 50 children.

I will give you example for smaller amounts.

Lets say you got 3 cookies and 5 children.

3 cookies can be distributed:

- 1 cookie for three persons 1*3=3

- 2 cookies for one person and 1 for one of the others 2+1=3

- 3 cookies for one person, 0 for the others 3+0=3

For the first option.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
1 1 1 0 0

Now make permutations with repetition, because IT DOES matter which children will get a cookie and which not.

[tex]P_{(3,2)} 5 = \frac{5!}{3!2!}=10[/tex]

For the second option.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
2 1 0 0 0

[tex]P_{(1,1,3)} 5 = \frac{5!}{3!1!1!}=20[/tex]

For the third option.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
3 0 0 0 0

[tex]P_{(1,4)} 5 = \frac{5!}{1!4!}=5[/tex]

So the total number of distributions would be 10+20+5=35

I believe that my theory is correct. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Hi njama, not sure what you mean was mixed up?

When referring to ordering, I was implying the cookies are indistinguishable for all intents and purposes (ie. receieving a cookie is the same as receiving any other cookie). This makes it a combination rather than permutation question.

As you and jimmianlin point out, receiving 2 cookies is clearly different from receiving 1 cookie... You could treat this with a repetitive approach of working out the combinations of each cookie distribution, as you have done, but this will become difficult with large cookie/children numbers

That leads you to looking at combinations with repetition (see previous website for good explanation)

In your case
n = 5 number of children
r = 3 number of cookies
(n-1+r)!/((n-1)!r!) = 7!/(4!3!) = 7.5 = 35, agreeing with your work

I feel like a cookie after all this...

lanedance said:
Hi njama, not sure what you mean was mixed up?

When referring to ordering, I was implying the cookies are indistinguishable for all intents and purposes (ie. receieving a cookie is the same as receiving any other cookie). This makes it a combination rather than permutation question.

As you and jimmianlin point out, receiving 2 cookies is clearly different from receiving 1 cookie... You could treat this with a repetitive approach of working out the combinations of each cookie distribution, as you have done, but this will become difficult with large cookie/children numbers

That leads you to looking at combinations with repetition (see previous website for good explanation)

In your case
n = 5 number of children
r = 3 number of cookies
(n-1+r)!/((n-1)!r!) = 7!/(4!3!) = 7.5 = 35, agreeing with your work

I feel like a cookie after all this...

You are right. Sorry for misunderstanding you. :smile:

What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with countable and distinct objects. It involves the study of mathematical structures that are discrete rather than continuous, such as integers, graphs, and sets.

What are the applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has numerous applications in computer science, data analysis, cryptography, game theory, and other fields. It is used to model and solve problems involving discrete objects and structures, making it essential in various real-life scenarios.

What are the main topics in discrete math?

The main topics in discrete math include set theory, combinatorics, graph theory, logic, and algorithms. Other topics may include number theory, probability, and formal languages.

How is discrete math different from other branches of math?

Discrete math is different from other branches of math, such as calculus or algebra, because it deals with discrete objects and structures rather than continuous ones. It also focuses on logical reasoning and problem-solving rather than calculations.

Do I need a strong background in math to learn discrete math?

While a strong foundation in math can be helpful, discrete math does not require advanced mathematical knowledge. It involves logical thinking and problem-solving skills, making it accessible to individuals with varying levels of mathematical background.