Proving the Theorem: p!/[(p-i)! * i] = 1/p for Prime Number p and Integer i

In summary, the theorem states that for a prime number and integer i, if 0<i<p then p!/[(p-i)! * i] * 1/p.
hlzombi
Prove the following theorem:
Theorem For a prime number p and integer i,
if 0 < i < p then p!/[(p− i)! * i] * 1/p

Not sure how to go about this. I wanted to do a direct proof and this is what I've got so far.
let i = p-n
then p!/[(p-n)!*(p-n)] but that doesn't exactly prove much.

Physics news on Phys.org
hlzombi,
First, please note that you should use the template and this seems like it might be better to place in the math forum.
hlzombi said:
Prove the following theorem:
Theorem For a prime number p and integer i,
if 0 < i < p then p!/[(p− i)! * i] * 1/p

Not sure how to go about this. I wanted to do a direct proof and this is what I've got so far.
let i = p-n
then p!/[(p-n)!*(p-n)] but that doesn't exactly prove much.
##\frac{p!}{(p-n)!*(p-n)}=\frac{p*(p-1)*...*(p-n+1)}{p-n}##
Finally, I am not sure what you are asked to prove...is there some equality or property here?
You need to be more clear.

Apologies, I'm new here. I tried to follow the template as best as I could.

To clarify, I'm trying to prove the theorem p!/[(p− i)! * i] * 1/p where 0<i<p when p is a prime number and i is an integer.

hlzombi said:

To clarify, I'm trying to prove the theorem p!/[(p− i)! * i] * 1/p where 0<i<p when p is a prime number and i is an integer.

Your statement is incomplete. What are you trying to prove about [itex]\frac{p!}{(p-i)!i} \times \frac 1p[/itex] when [itex]p[/itex] is prime and [itex]i[/itex] is an integer?

Im trying to verify the theorem under those conditions

You did not write the theorem.

http://classes.soe.ucsc.edu/cmpe016/Fall14/hw/hw6.pdf
number 5

That says p divides p choose i. That is not what you wrote above.

To demonstrate this, you can use induction.
Show that for a base case (i=1) ##p\left| \left( \begin{array}{c} p\\i\end{array}\right) \right. ##
Assume for some n < p-1, the statement holds.
Show that ##p\left| \left( \begin{array}{c} p\\n+1 \end{array}\right) \right. ##

hlzombi said:
When you use the template, don't delete its three parts.

Also, I moved this thread, as it was better suited in one of the math sections.

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, rather than continuous ones. It involves studying topics such as sets, functions, logic, and graph theory.

2. How is discrete math used in real life?

Discrete math is used in a variety of fields, including computer science, cryptography, and finance. Some examples include designing algorithms for computer programs, creating secure passwords, and analyzing stock market trends.

3. What are some common applications of discrete math in computer science?

Discrete math is essential for computer science, as it provides the foundation for many key concepts and algorithms. Some common applications include sorting and searching algorithms, data compression, and network routing algorithms.

4. Can you give an example of a discrete math problem?

One example of a discrete math problem is the "Seven Bridges of Königsberg" problem, which involves finding a path in a city that crosses each of its seven bridges exactly once. This problem can be solved using graph theory and has real-world applications in network design.

5. Is discrete math difficult to learn?

Discrete math can be challenging, but with the right approach and study habits, it can be mastered. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and logic before diving into discrete math, and to practice solving problems regularly.