Is Every Rational Number Always a Ratio of Two Integers?

In summary: It would be better to say "if P is given the question, then P will always answer it correctly."In summary, there is a program that always gives the correct answer to every question that is posed to it.
kuahji
Rewrite the following statement formally. Use variables and include both quantifiers [tex]\forall[/tex] and [tex]\exists[/tex] in your answer.

Statement: Every rational number can be written as a ratio of some two integers.

If I didn't have to use [tex]\exists[/tex] I'd write it as follows

[tex]\forall[/tex]rational numbers x, x is a ratio of two integers.

But I can't think of a way or any reason why I'd want to include the quantifier [tex]\exists[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
kuahji said:
Rewrite the following statement formally. Use variables and include both quantifiers [tex]\forall[/tex] and [tex]\exists[/tex] in your answer.

Statement: Every rational number can be written as a ratio of some two integers.

If I didn't have to use [tex]\exists[/tex] I'd write it as follows

[tex]\forall[/tex]rational numbers x, x is a ratio of two integers.

But I can't think of a way or any reason why I'd want to include the quantifier [tex]\exists[/tex].

You must use variables in your answer.

What does "x is a ratio of two integers" mean? That's where you need [itex]\exists[/itex].

Ok thanks, I rewrote it as
[tex]\forall[/tex] rational numbers x, [tex]\exists[/tex] a rational number y and a rational number z such that x=y/z.

One more question if anyone has time to help me with.

Rewrite the statement formally.
Statement: There is a program that gives the correct answer to every question that is posed to it.

So I rewrote it as
[tex]\exists[/tex] a program p such that [tex]\forall[/tex]questions q, p always answers q correctly.
Is this incorrectly because I have "correctly" as the final word?
The book shows the answer as
[tex]\exists[/tex] a program P such that [tex]\forall[/tex] questions Q posed to P, P gives the correct answer to Q.

I didn't know if these was some technicality that would make my answer incorrect as apposed to the book's answer.

It's mostly right except the original statement is that any rational number can be written as a ratio of 2 integers.

For the second one, the only real problem I see is that "always" is redundant.

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, rather than continuous ones. It is primarily concerned with the study of integers, graphs, and logical statements.

2. How is discrete math used in computer science?

Discrete math is used in computer science to analyze algorithms, design data structures, and solve problems related to data and information processing. It also forms the basis of many programming concepts, such as recursion and graph theory.

3. What are some common topics in discrete math?

Some common topics in discrete math include sets, functions, combinatorics, graph theory, logic and proofs, and number theory. Other topics may also include cryptography, game theory, and coding theory.

4. What are some real-world applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has many real-world applications, including in computer science, operations research, cryptography, and biology. It is also used in business and economics for analyzing data and making decisions, and in engineering for designing efficient systems and networks.

5. How can discrete math be applied to problem-solving?

Discrete math provides tools and techniques for problem-solving, including logical reasoning, pattern recognition, and algorithm design. It also helps to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and to find efficient and elegant solutions.