1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Discrete Math; Subsets

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let their be a set A, and let B be the set: {A, {A}} (the set containing the elements A and the
    set that contains element A)

As you know, A is an element of B and {A} is also an element of B.

Also, {A} is a subset of B and {{A}} is also a subset of B.

However, A is not a subset of B

2. Relevant equations

[URL]http://65.98.41.146/~carlodm/phys/123.png[/URL]

3. The attempt at a solution

See my drawing above. I created a Venn Diagram to deduce the logic with no clear results. In the first diagram to the left, I can clearly see that the element A is a subset of B ... yet.. it is not? Can someone explain?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think Venn diagrams are the way to go. Let's do an example. Let A be the set of integers. We know that B has two elements: A and {A}. But A has 3 as an element. 3 is neither the set of integers or the set containing the set of integers, so 3 is not in B.

In the venn diagram you are getting A as an object and A as a set containing other objects confused

4. Aug 24, 2010 #3
    My question:

Why are we comparing set A (the set of all integers) on an element-by-element basis? I agree that "3" is an element of A such that A = { ...,-1,0,1,0,1,2,3...}.

I agree that "3" is neither the set of integers A = { ...,-1,0,1,0,1,2,3...} nor the set containing the set of integers {A} = {{ ...,-1,0,1,0,1,2,3...}} .

I fail to see how individual elements of A are pertinent to the problem. If A is a subset of B, every element of A is in B.

----------------------------------------------------- Light Bulb in My Head

After writing the last line of my argument, I realized that simple truth:

"A is a subset of B iff every element in A is in B"

Given your argument, "3" is an element of A yet 3 is neither the set of integers NOR the set containing the set of integers.

Eureka moment. Thanks!

5. Aug 24, 2010 #4
    Going a mile further...

{A} is a subset of B in this example because....

Every element in {A} is in B.

The only element of the set of sets is A. A is the set of all integers. {A} therefore is the subset of B.

------------------------------------------------------------
    {{A}} is a subset of B since:

Every element in {{A}} is in B.

The only element in the set of sets of sets is A. The sets of sets of A, {{A}} is an element of B.

That was correct, no?

{{{A}}} is not a subset of B.... well because {{A}} is not in B?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook