1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Math

1. Apr 3, 2006 #1
    I am planning on self studyint Discrete Math. What would be a good book for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2006 #2
    I didn't use this book. But here is a free online version:
    http://www.macalester.edu/~hutchinson/book/book.html

I skimmed through it and it seems cool. I hated math when I took Discrete math. Now that I'm in a different mindset, I want to go back and take the class :)

It'll be interesting to see what people recommend, because I'm pretty sure... I'm going to be doing the same thing as you soon.

4. Apr 4, 2006 #3
  5. Apr 4, 2006 #4
    I accidently posted that last comment twice. Whoops.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  6. May 16, 2006 #5
    The book I used was by Kenneth Rosen - Discrete Mathematics and its Applications 5e. I can't really say if it's a great book or not, but it equips you with pretty much the necessary tools needed to know the material.

Frogpad: I also hated the class. Some stuff was interesting (especially the number theory and graph theory material), but I really disliked the combinatoric section (just not something I'm a fan of).

7. May 16, 2006 #6

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

The book I used, "Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics, an Applied Introduction" by Ralph P. Grimaldi (5e) is pretty comprehensive and includes a lot of extra material for further study.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?