Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Math

1. Apr 3, 2006 #1
    I am planning on self studyint Discrete Math. What would be a good book for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2006 #2
    I didn't use this book. But here is a free online version:
    http://www.macalester.edu/~hutchinson/book/book.html

I skimmed through it and it seems cool. I hated math when I took Discrete math. Now that I'm in a different mindset, I want to go back and take the class :)

It'll be interesting to see what people recommend, because I'm pretty sure... I'm going to be doing the same thing as you soon.

4. Apr 4, 2006 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  5. Apr 4, 2006 #4
    I accidently posted that last comment twice. Whoops.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  6. May 16, 2006 #5
    The book I used was by Kenneth Rosen - Discrete Mathematics and its Applications 5e. I can't really say if it's a great book or not, but it equips you with pretty much the necessary tools needed to know the material.

Frogpad: I also hated the class. Some stuff was interesting (especially the number theory and graph theory material), but I really disliked the combinatoric section (just not something I'm a fan of).

7. May 16, 2006 #6

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

The book I used, "Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics, an Applied Introduction" by Ralph P. Grimaldi (5e) is pretty comprehensive and includes a lot of extra material for further study.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook