1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Mathematics help

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the range of the function g: ZxZ --> ZxZ given by g(m,n)=(m-n,m+n). Hints: First recall that if f: A ---> B then Range (f)={b e B such that there exists an A in A with b=f(a). Second, if you claim that some set C is the range, then you must show that i) C is a subset Range(f) and ii) range (f) is a subset of C. Both i and ii are required to conclude that C=range(f).

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am think that the range is all integers from -infinity to +infinity.

I know that:
    * ZxZ denotes a set of ordered pairs.
    * m,n exist in Z
    * range (g) exists in Z

I don't know where to go with this!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The range is all pairs (p,q) such that (p,q)=(m+n,m-n) for integers m and n. Solve for m and n in terms of p and q. Now rethink your guess that the range is all integer pairs. E.g. is (1,2) in the range?

4. Nov 18, 2007 #3
    So we figured out that p=q. So our new guess for the range is all integers such that p=q for the ordered pair (p,q). If we say that, is that enough to justify our answer?

5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you figure out p=q? p=m+n, q=m-n for the domain value (m,n) and ask yourself when m and n are both integers. That's two equations in two unknowns. Solve them. Your new guess is worse than the last.

6. Nov 18, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, let's go back. You never answered my question. Is (1,2) in the range? If you answer that it will give you a big clue in a non-abstract sense.

7. Nov 18, 2007 #6
    (1,2) is not in the range. When substituted in the equations for p and q the results for m and n are not integers.
    After looking at your first response to our terrible answer, we looked that problem and decided that the range is (p,q) when p and q are any even integers.
    **I am working on this a group of people and the more we talk about it, the more confused we get.**

8. Nov 19, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you solved those equations you should have gotten m=(p+q)/2 and n=(p-q)/2. Now think about pairs (p,q) where both p and q are odd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?