1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Mathematics Question

1. May 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys im having a bit of a difficult time with this question, if some one could help me out it would be appreciated, thanks.

Consider the following argument. "If the weather is fine, and the train is early, then the dog will sit on the tuckerbox. The train will be early, (but) also there will be rain. So the dog will not sit on the tuckerbox."Let W mean "the weather will be fine", E mean "the train will come early" and D mean "the dog will sit on the tuckerbox". (THE QUESTION IS ATTATCHED BELOW)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried working out the equation and I got this: I get the following compound propisiton arguments like this for first and second premisis and conclusion: (W v E -> D) ^ (E ^ ~W) -> ~D. I also know that T appears in rows B,D,F and H of the last column and this was confirmed by my teacher. Now I know how to construct the truth table but i keep getting the question wrong, i do not know what im doing wrong, help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

• q1.png
      q1.png
      File size:
      119.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is impossible to say what you are doing wrong when you don't tell us what you are doing! What wrong answers are you getting?

4. May 17, 2015 #3
    i DON't know what the answer is to the question i've put, thats all and im entering the formula above into a truth table thats what im doing if someone could tell me the question it would be great.

5. May 17, 2015 #4
    this is what ive done

Attached Files:

6. May 17, 2015 #5

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted