Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Mathematics - Symmetric Closure Math help in Numerical Analysis, Systems of

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    Discrete Mathematics -- Symmetric Closure Math help in Numerical Analysis, Systems of

I can't seem to find the way to approach this problem. Because it has symbols I don't know how to type here, I have attached an image here instead. Please help me if you can. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1rj04.png

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2
    Re: Discrete Mathematics -- Symmetric Closure Math help in Numerical Analysis, System

hi

let [tex]S=R \cup R^{-1}[/tex] , to prove that S is symmetric closure of R you have to prove
    three things

[tex]1)\cdots R\subseteq S[/tex]

[tex]2) \cdots S \;\mbox{is symmetric}\;[/tex]

[tex]3)\cdots \forall T \subseteq A\times A [(R\subseteq T)\wedge(T\;\mbox{is symmetric}\;)\Rightarrow (S\subseteq T)][/tex]

can you prove 1 now ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook