1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Mathematics

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    I know I have to write an equation to solve the problem down. But I realy don't know how to use the given information. I did it by enumeration, but I don't get it how this will be shown by an algebriac argument. Please some one help me at least with an idea.

If S = {1,2,3,4}, consider the function f:SxS-> N defined by f(x,y)= 4x+y-4. Determine the image of f, and show by an algebraic argument [not by enumeration] that f is one to one function on SxS. [hint: because S has only four elements, the difference of two of its elements is a multiple of 4 iff they are equal.]
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

f(x1,y1)-f(x2,y2)=4(x1-x2)+(y1-y2). This can be 0 if and only if x1=x2 and y1=y2.

4(x1-x2) is ALWAYS a multiple of 4, while (y1-y2) cannot be a multiple of 4 unless y1=y2.
  4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    Thank you so much. I get it now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?