Solving Discrete Math: Integer & Algorithm Homework

In summary: And the integer Ӣ(L) is defined as Ӣ(L) = \sum_{i=0}^k n_i L^i . The Attempt at a Solution1) Using the definition of B-compliant, we can see that n is palindromic if and only if its base B expansion is (n_0, n_1, . . . , n_k) where 0 \leq n_i < B for 0 <= i <= k. 2) Next, we need to find a sequence of integers satisfying the base B expansion. We can do this by
Banshi
Hi guys! I got really stuck with a Discrete Mathematics homework in Integers and Algorithms.
I know it is not very clear due to lack of symbols. If anyone didn't understand some part of the exercise I would like to clarify it.

The exercise is the following :

Homework Statement

Define for B, an integer > 1, the base B expansion fB(n) of n, an integer > 0, as the sequence of integers fB(n) = (n0, n1, . . . , n(k)) satisfying 0 <= n(i) < B for 0 <= i <= k, n(k) != 0, and n = Ʃ(n(i)Bpower(i)), i=0 to k.
An integer n > 0 is called B-palindromic if its base B expansion fB(n) = (n0, n1, . . . , n(k)) satisfies n(i) = n(k−i) for 0 <= i <= k (i.e. n(i) means n index i).

a. Prove or disprove the following statement:
Ʉ n > 0, Ǝ B > 1 such that n is B-palindromic.

Let B > 1 be fixed. A sequence of integers (n0, n1, . . . , n(k)) is B-compliant if 0 <= n(i) < B for 0 <= i <= k and n(k) != 0. For any L >= B and any B-compliant integer sequence N = (n0, n1, . . . , n(k)), the integer N(L) (i.e. N index L) is defined as N(L) = Ʃ(n(i)Lpower(i)), i=0 to k.
And the integer Ӣ(L) is defined as Ӣ(L) = Ʃ(n(k-i)Lpower(i)), i=0 to k. Here, Ӣ(L) stands for negation of N, index L.

b. Prove that for any L >= B and any B-compliant sequence N = (n0, n1, . . . , n(k))
it is the case that fL(N(L)) = (n0, n1, . . . , n(k)).

c. Find the smallest L >= B such that N(L) + Ӣ(L) is L-palindromic for all B-compliant integer sequences N.

Homework Equations

- fB(n) = (n0, n1, . . . , n(k)) with 0 <= n(i) < B for 0 <= i <= k, n(k) != 0, and n = Ʃ(n(i)Bpower(i)), i=0 to k.

- An integer n > 0 is called B-palindromic if its base B expansion fB(n) = (n0, n1, . . . , n(k)) satisfies n(i) = n(k−i) for 0 <= i <= k.

- (n0, n1, . . . , n(k)) is B-compliant if 0 <= n(i) < B for 0 <= i <= k and n(k) != 0.

- For any L >= B and any B-compliant integer sequence N = (n0, n1, . . . , n(k)), the integer N(L) (i.e. N index L) is defined as N(L) = Ʃ(n(i)Lpower(i)), i=0 to k.

- Ӣ(L) = Ʃ(n(k-i)Lpower(i)), i=0 to k.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to start, if anyone could help me with this it would be awesome.

Thanks Guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've attempted to rewrite your problem by condensing it and using LaTex. Perhaps someone who can do number theory will be happier with this version.

1. The problem statement

a. Prove or disprove the following statement: For each integer [tex] n > 0 [/tex] there exists a base [tex] B > 1 [/tex] so that [tex]n[/tex] is palandromic when written in base [tex] B [/tex]..

b. Prove that for any [tex] L \geq B [/tex] and any [tex] B-[/tex]compliant sequence [tex] \{N\} = \{n_0, n_1, . . . , n_k) \} [/tex] it is the case that the expansion of [tex] N [/tex] to the base [tex] L [/tex], [tex] \{f_L(N(L))\} = \{n_0, n_1, . . . , n_k\} [/tex].

c. Find the smallest [tex] L \geq B [/tex] such that [tex] N_L + \tilde{N}_L [/tex] is [tex] L-[/tex] palandromic for all [tex]B-[/tex]compliant integer sequences [tex] \{N\}[/tex]

2. Relevant definitions

Define the base [tex] B [/tex] expansion [tex] f_B(n) [/tex] of an integer [tex] n > 0 [/tex] to be the sequence of integers [tex]\{f_B(n)\} = \{n_0, n_1,...,n_k\} [/tex] satisfying [tex] 0 \leq n_i < B [/tex] for [tex] 0 \leq i \leq k [/tex] with [tex] n_k \neq 0 [/tex] and [tex] n = \sum_{i=0}^k n_i B^i [/tex]

An integer [tex] n > 0 [/tex] is palindromic when written in base [tex] B [/tex] means that [tex] \{f_B(n)\} = \{n_0, n_1, . . . , n_k \} [/tex] satisfies [tex] n_i = n_{k-i} [/tex] for [tex] 0 \leq i \leq k [/tex]

Let [tex] B > 1 [/tex] be fixed. A sequence of integers [tex] \{n_0, n_1, . . . , n_k\} [/tex] is [tex]B[/tex]-compliant if [tex] 0 \leq n_i < B [/tex] for [tex] 0 <= i <= k [/tex] and [tex] n_k \neq 0 [/tex].

For any [tex] L \geq B [/tex] and any [tex]B[/tex]-compliant integer sequence [tex]N = \{n_0, n_1, . . . , n_k\}[/tex], the integer [tex] N(L) [/tex] is defined as [tex] N(L) = \sum_{i=0}^ k n_i L^i [/tex].
And the integer [tex] \tilde{N}(L) [/tex] is defined as
[tex]\tilde{N}(L) = \sum_{i=0}^k n(k-i)L^i [/tex].

If you use LaTex, be advised that there is a bug in the way LaTex is cached on this forum. When composing a post, you must use the "preview" feature of the editor and, after the page appears, you must use the "reload" feature of your browser to display the page again. A similar procedure must be used when you edit one of your posts. Before pages are reloaded, the LaTex may look nonsensical or not reflect your edits.

I have these two questions in discrete mathematics and I need your help to answer it….
Proof that ∀x⇁p(x)≡⇁∃x p(x)
And
Proof that ⇁∀xp(x)≡∃x⇁ p(x)
Let R be the relation on the set {1,2,3,4,5} containing the order pairs(1,1) ,(1,2) (1,3) ,(2,3) (2,4) ,(3,1) (3,4) ,(3,5) ,(4,2) (4,5) ,(5,1) (5,2) ,and(5,4),Find
R^3
R^4
R^5

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separate values. It involves the study of discrete structures, such as integers, graphs, and logic, and their applications to real-world problems.

2. How is discrete math related to integers and algorithms?

Integers are whole numbers that are used in discrete math to represent discrete quantities, such as the number of objects in a set. Algorithms, on the other hand, are step-by-step procedures used to solve problems, which are often based on discrete structures and concepts.

3. What are some common applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has many applications in various fields, including computer science, cryptography, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and solve problems related to networks, optimization, decision-making, and data analysis, among others.

4. How do you approach solving discrete math problems?

The key to solving discrete math problems is to understand the underlying concepts and structures involved. This often involves breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and applying logical reasoning and problem-solving techniques to find a solution.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in discrete math?

To succeed in discrete math, it is important to practice regularly and work through as many problems as possible. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning. Additionally, developing strong critical thinking and logical reasoning skills can greatly aid in understanding and solving discrete math problems.