1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Maths or Statistics

1. Feb 14, 2007 #1
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering which would be the more beneficial first year uni subject to take given that I would like to major in either chemistry or physics - Discrete Mathematics or Statistics.
    The Discrete maths course "focuses on the enumeration of the Catalan Numbers" and is an introduction to fundamental aspects of discrete mathematics. The Statistics course includes work on Data Analysis, Probability and Inference.
    At the moment, im thinking that Statistics would probably be the more beneficial course to take, but the Discrete Maths one seems more interesting.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2007 #2
    Statistics would be more useful in general for both potential majors.
  4. Feb 14, 2007 #3
    I agrree with maxwell, discrete math is very abstract concepts that would help a computer science major but a chemistry or physics major i don't see it being more useful than stats.
  5. Feb 22, 2007 #4
    If you don't have to take Discrete Math for your Chemistry degree, then I would opt for Statistics. The only reason I can say this is because Discrete Math is for people with an IT link to programming. =o)
    Algorithms, Trominoes and Pigeon Hole Principles which (this one) might pertain to Chemistry. =o) Just my personal opinion! We can only offer you suggestions, but you must choose!!
  6. Feb 22, 2007 #5
    If you enjoy maths, take both. Extra maths don't hurt. However, if you only want to take one, I would go for Stats like everyone else says.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?