Discrete Plots in Mathematica

In summary, a discrete plot in Mathematica is a type of graph that displays data points that are not connected by a continuous line. It is created using the ListPlot function and is useful for visualizing discrete data. The appearance of the plot can be customized using various options in the ListPlot function, including adding error bars using the ErrorBar or ErrorListPlot functions. Multiple discrete plots can also be combined using the Show function.
thegaussian
Hi, I'm trying to plot the coefficients of a Fourier series as a discrete plot. Does anyone know how I could go about doing this? I have mathematica 6 so DiscretePlot isn't there like in 7...

Any help would be great!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ListPlot

awesome thanks! is it possible to make the lines thicker if i have them come up from the x axis? cheers

I only have Mathematica 7 to test this with, but giving ListPlot the option FillingStyle -> Thickness[0.05] seems to work.

1. What is a discrete plot in Mathematica?

A discrete plot in Mathematica is a type of graph that displays data points that are not connected by a continuous line. It is useful for visualizing discrete data, such as measurements or counts, and is created using the ListPlot function.

2. How do I create a discrete plot in Mathematica?

To create a discrete plot in Mathematica, you can use the ListPlot function and provide a list of data points as input. For example, ListPlot[{1, 2, 3, 4}] will create a plot with four data points at the coordinates (1,1), (2,2), (3,3), and (4,4).

3. Can I customize the appearance of my discrete plot in Mathematica?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your discrete plot in Mathematica by using various options in the ListPlot function. These options include changing the color, size, and style of the data points, as well as adding labels, legends, and axes to the plot.

4. How do I add error bars to my discrete plot in Mathematica?

To add error bars to your discrete plot in Mathematica, you can use the ErrorBar or ErrorListPlot functions. These functions allow you to specify the size and style of the error bars, as well as the location of the error bars relative to the data points.

5. Can I combine multiple discrete plots in Mathematica?

Yes, you can combine multiple discrete plots in Mathematica by using the Show function. This function allows you to overlay multiple plots on top of each other, creating a single plot with all of the data points and customizations from each individual plot.