Discrete-time signal through a PAM

• Thread starter svippe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary, we can calculate and plot the output y(t) from the pulse amplitude modulation using the convolution integral, and then sample and plot y[n]. The general connection between x[n] and y[n] is given by the convolution integral, which is valid for any arbitrary x[n].
svippe
A discrete-time signal x[n] is filtered through a PAM p(t). The shapes of these signals are described in the attached image.

i) Calculate and plot the output y(t) from this pulse amplitude modulation.
ii) Let y[n])=y(nTs) be the sampled signal of y(t). Calculate and plot y[n]
iii) Determine a general connection between x[n] and y[n], which is valid for any arbitrary x[n]

I have only tried my luck on i) but gets stuck at the plotting. Anyone with a better knowledge of how to solve this problem?

Kind regards, Christian

Attachments

• IMG_20100824_014543.jpg
    IMG_20100824_014543.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i) To calculate the output y(t) from the pulse amplitude modulation, we can use the convolution integral. The convolution integral is defined as: y(t) = ∫ x(τ)p(t-τ) dτWhere x(τ) is the input signal and p(t) is the PAM pulse. We can use a computer program (e.g. MATLAB) to calculate the convolution integral for us. We can then plot the result to get the output y(t).ii) To calculate y[n], we need to sample y(t) at regular intervals. We can do this by setting y[n] = y(nTs), where n is an integer and Ts is the sampling interval. We can then plot y[n] to get the sampled signal.iii) The general connection between x[n] and y[n] is given by the convolution integral: y[n] = ∑ x[k]*p[n-k]Where p[n] is the sampled version of the PAM pulse. This equation is valid for any arbitrary x[n].

1. What is a PAM signal?

A PAM signal, or pulse amplitude modulation signal, is a type of digital signal that is used to transmit analog data over a digital communication system. It involves sampling the analog signal at regular intervals and encoding the amplitude of each sample as a binary number.

2. How is a PAM signal generated?

A PAM signal is generated by converting an analog signal into a discrete-time signal through a process called sampling. This involves taking samples of the analog signal at equally spaced intervals and then encoding the amplitude of each sample into a binary number.

3. What is the purpose of using a PAM signal?

The purpose of using a PAM signal is to transmit analog data over a digital communication system. It allows for more efficient and accurate transmission of data, as well as easier processing and manipulation of the signal.

4. What are the advantages of using a PAM signal over other types of digital signals?

One advantage of using a PAM signal is that it is less susceptible to noise and interference compared to other types of digital signals. It also has a higher signal-to-noise ratio, which means the signal can be transmitted over longer distances without losing quality.

5. How is a PAM signal demodulated?

A PAM signal is demodulated by using a demodulator, which converts the binary numbers back into analog signals. This process is known as pulse code modulation (PCM) and is used to retrieve the original analog data from the PAM signal.