Discuss here or in the Lame Jokes thread....?

In summary: If not, please state why you disagree.I agree with what you say, but I don't think it's the only solution.P.S. The only entrance qualification to PF is the ability to write in English. We don't check resumes.
Johnny Yuma
From a letter to the Editor in NYT recently: "We are addicted to fossil fuels, de-forestation and over population. Addressing global warming via technology...is like asking a bartender to help with alcoholism"

So...mods, need to move it to the correct thread section ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to discuss it at all, you're going to have to provide a question to answer or thesis to debate.

Likes BillTre
So, my education topped out as graduating from high school in 1958 with a C average.

This is probably not a thesis...but maybe a thesicle...? The question would be...is the comparison valid... or does anyone else consider this a joke... as nothing will ever be done to fix the problem.

Johnny Yuma said:
The question would be...is the comparison valid... or does anyone else consider this a joke... as nothing will ever be done to fix the problem.
I don't think it's a joke. And since bartenders are in fact required by law to address and prevent overconsumption of alcohol, I don't think it leads to the conclusion the writer intended. It's catchy but mis-applied.

More specific to the problem; technology obviously does provide solutions to the problems humans created with it.

P.S. The only entrance qualification to PF is the ability to write in English. We don't check resumes.

Likes Bystander
russ_watters said:
And since bartenders are in fact required by law to address and prevent overconsumption of alcohol, I don't think it leads to the conclusion the writer intended.
It's not because it is required by law that it is an efficient solution.

Johnny Yuma said:
We are addicted to fossil fuels, de-forestation and over population.
russ_watters said:
More specific to the problem; technology obviously does provide solutions to the problems humans created with it.

For the problem at hand, I think the dangerous addiction is the one to work. People cannot stop working and therefore the level of resource spending never decreases, no matter how efficient the work is. You made an engine more fuel-efficient or a light bulb wasting less energy for the same luminosity? Instead of enjoying the economy and working less, people continue working as hard they used to and get "more" for their money. They might have more, but they still haven't reduced their resource consumption. Thinking that there is some magic power source that will balance itself and forever be renewable on a grand scale is, in my honest opinion, wishful thinking.

Accepting to work less and accepting to live within the level of comfort it gives us is probably the only way we can resolve such problems as global warming. It all starts with how much you work.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd, Jodo, david2 and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
If you want to discuss it at all, you're going to have to provide a question to answer or thesis to debate.
what has three sides and two endpoints?

fxstsb said:
what has three sides and two endpoints?
A ménage à trois?

• Haha
Likes sbrothy, berkeman and russ_watters
I have no tangency between your last 2 messages and the idea of deforestation and overpopulation.

Bandersnatch said:
A ménage à trois?
That was humorous

Johnny Yuma said:
So, my education topped out as graduating from high school in 1958 with a C average.

This is probably not a thesis...but maybe a thesicle...? The question would be...is the comparison valid... or does anyone else consider this a joke... as nothing will ever be done to fix the problem.
A ridiculous comparison is often the most interesting.

Uhm, thanks, I got it!:biggrin:

Johnny Yuma said:
"We are addicted to fossil fuels, de-forestation and over population. Addressing global warming via technology...is like asking a bartender to help with alcoholism"
"Technology" does not simply mean "energy-consuming, smoke-belching machines".

A lot of 21st century technology is being developed expressly to
  • wean us off fossil fuels,
  • develop sustainable building materials,
  • provide education and quality of life to developing nations (which is shown to help reduce population growth), and
  • sequester carbon
I see the future of technology to be filled with micro-powered, invisible, ubiquitous devices that directly help peoples of developing nations (by purifying water sources, fending off diseases in humans and foods, eye health, tooth health, etc.)

eg. Someone made a cheap, disposable glasses-like device for improving vision that costs pennies by designing it to be made on local low-tech equipment, saving on shipping and replacement costs.
(IIRC it's like a template - printable on scrap cardboard - that is made into a pair of glasses.)

Last edited:
Likes JesseProbst
I like and agree with whachu say. However, I'm afraid that not everybody thinks so and votes for eco-friendly solutions. Moreover, I read different sources and statistics and concluded that the population growth consists of untaught communities (for example, African areas). They don't know what dangers represent climate change because of all these problems with environmental issues, consumption and conservation of natural resources, fossil fuels...

Don't you agree with me that the population growth concentrates on "untaught communities"?

1. What is the purpose of discussing in the Lame Jokes thread?

The Lame Jokes thread is a place for people to share and enjoy silly, humorous jokes. It is meant to be a lighthearted and fun discussion forum.

2. Can I discuss serious topics in the Lame Jokes thread?

While the Lame Jokes thread is primarily for jokes, participants are free to discuss other topics as well. However, it is important to keep the overall tone of the thread light and avoid controversial or sensitive subjects.

3. Is it appropriate to share offensive jokes in the Lame Jokes thread?

No, it is not appropriate to share offensive jokes in the Lame Jokes thread. The thread is meant to be a fun and inclusive space, so jokes that are offensive or discriminatory towards any group of people will not be tolerated.

4. How can I participate in the Lame Jokes thread?

To participate in the Lame Jokes thread, simply read through the jokes and add your own if you have any. You can also interact with other participants by commenting on their jokes and sharing your thoughts.

5. Is there a limit to how many jokes I can share in the Lame Jokes thread?

There is no specific limit to the number of jokes you can share in the Lame Jokes thread, but it is important to be mindful of not spamming the thread with too many jokes at once. It is always better to share a few quality jokes rather than flooding the thread with mediocre ones.