Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discussion about Windows 10

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Hello there....as the title says, when the time of the upgrade comes..lets discuss in this topic problems and other stuff on this new software

edit: when i received my notification i was asked to give my e-mail until the upgrade day unfortunately i pressed the X button and i missed to give my e-mail...am i still able to upgrade?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2
  4. Jul 28, 2015 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I have 2 laptops with windows 8.1 but was offered to upgrade to windows 10 in only one of them. My HP-pavilion laptop still hasn't showed me the upgrade proposal. Is this normal?
    I'll do the upgrade whenever they consider it's stable enough I suppose. I very rarely use Windows anyway; only when I'm forced to.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. Jul 28, 2015 #4
    I'm planning on upgrading my Windows 8.1 laptop.
    Surely it can't get any worse...

6. Jul 28, 2015 #5
  7. Jul 30, 2015 #6
    Yesterday an unexpected bug appeared on my pc. http://prntscr.com/7ykbgb This morning when i booted up my pc the windows was genuine again...i dont know what happened but the windows 10 icon on the task bar disappeared :/ any suggestions?

8. Jul 30, 2015 #7

wolram

Gold Member

I tried downloading Win 10 but it got stuck on the please wait window, nothing hap-end what is going on?

9. Jul 30, 2015 #8
    Millions of people are trying to upgrade :)

10. Jul 30, 2015 #9
    I tried to get the process started this morning. For me it's still at "Notify me when Windows 10 is available"

Guess I"m stuck with 8.1 a wee bit longer

11. Jul 30, 2015 #10
    could someone reply on my problems please? :P

12. Jul 30, 2015 #11
    So I have a fun problem:

My OS is up to date, I have gotten every single download Microsoft has told me to, I have jumped through all the hoops, and when I go to manually download the get windows 10 app, it says my computer is not up to date and that I cannot get the app.

I am running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, I have service pack 1, I have windows updates enabled, I even download the optional ones. I have gone through the forums on the Microsoft website, but after doing A LOT of stuff in the command prompt to try to fix my issues, and use their fancy little troubleshooter, I have had no success. What else can I do besides manually download and force install Win 10?

13. Jul 30, 2015 #12
    For both Kostas and duhuhu I'd suggest waiting a week or so. There are bound to be many issues like you're seeing. Hopefully Microsoft will get them all figure out over the next few days.

Not only is this a brand new OS, its also the first time they've distributed it enmass like this.

14. Jul 30, 2015 #13
    Not good enough! I demand free service NOW :wink: (just kidding, I figure they will get to it, I am just excited)

15. Jul 30, 2015 #14
    Hey they're knitting those 1's and 0's as fast as they can. Do you think they just grow on trees :P

Plus they need to go through and add by hand the following code to every function. It takes time
    Code (Text):
    if(rand()=1234)
    {
    blueScreenOfDeath();
    }

16. Jul 30, 2015 #15
    thanks buddy, ill wait

17. Jul 30, 2015 #16

Oh I like that! is that in a form that I could load into the registry?

18. Aug 5, 2015 #17
    My upgrade is ready, im kind of cautious though....Do you have any useful advice to highlight, before i start the upgrade?

19. Aug 5, 2015 #18
    The blue screen fades from light to dark to light now... and it says stuff in your favorite language.

20. Aug 5, 2015 #19
    Disable any startup protection, it restarts a few times. I forgot to turn off my bios password and had to manually restart the computer.

21. Aug 5, 2015 #20
    what do you mean "startup protection"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted