Windows 10 Upgrade Discussion: Compatibility and Features

In summary: Disable any startup protection, it restarts a few times.I forgot to turn off my bios password and had to manually restart the computer.
Kostas Tzim
Hello there...as the title says, when the time of the upgrade comes..lets discuss in this topic problems and other stuff on this new software

edit: when i received my notification i was asked to give my e-mail until the upgrade day unfortunately i pressed the X button and i missed to give my e-mail...am i still able to upgrade?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have 2 laptops with windows 8.1 but was offered to upgrade to windows 10 in only one of them. My HP-pavilion laptop still hasn't showed me the upgrade proposal. Is this normal?
I'll do the upgrade whenever they consider it's stable enough I suppose. I very rarely use Windows anyway; only when I'm forced to.

Last edited:
I'm planning on upgrading my Windows 8.1 laptop.
Surely it can't get any worse...

Likes jerromyjon, xAxis, Borg and 1 other person
Windows 10 is currently downloading for me -- watching this thread: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=45&topicid=177267

Yesterday an unexpected bug appeared on my pc. http://prntscr.com/7ykbgb This morning when i booted up my pc the windows was genuine again...i don't know what happened but the windows 10 icon on the task bar disappeared :/ any suggestions?

I tried downloading Win 10 but it got stuck on the please wait window, nothing hap-end what is going on?

wolram said:
I tried downloading Win 10 but it got stuck on the please wait window, nothing hap-end what is going on?
Millions of people are trying to upgrade :)

wolram said:

I tried to get the process started this morning. For me it's still at "Notify me when Windows 10 is available"

Guess I"m stuck with 8.1 a wee bit longer

could someone reply on my problems please? :P

So I have a fun problem:

My OS is up to date, I have gotten every single download Microsoft has told me to, I have jumped through all the hoops, and when I go to manually download the get windows 10 app, it says my computer is not up to date and that I cannot get the app.

I am running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, I have service pack 1, I have windows updates enabled, I even download the optional ones. I have gone through the forums on the Microsoft website, but after doing A LOT of stuff in the command prompt to try to fix my issues, and use their fancy little troubleshooter, I have had no success. What else can I do besides manually download and force install Win 10?

For both Kostas and duhuhu I'd suggest waiting a week or so. There are bound to be many issues like you're seeing. Hopefully Microsoft will get them all figure out over the next few days.

Not only is this a brand new OS, its also the first time they've distributed it enmass like this.

cpscdave said:
I'd suggest waiting a week or so.

Not good enough! I demand free service NOW :wink: (just kidding, I figure they will get to it, I am just excited)

duhuhu said:
Not good enough! I demand free service NOW

Hey they're knitting those 1's and 0's as fast as they can. Do you think they just grow on trees :P

Plus they need to go through and add by hand the following code to every function. It takes time
Code:
if(rand()=1234)
{
blueScreenOfDeath();
}

Likes xAxis, dlgoff and davenn
thanks buddy, ill wait

cpscdave said:
Hey they're knitting those 1's and 0's as fast as they can. Do you think they just grow on trees :P

Plus they need to go through and add by hand the following code to every function. It takes time
Code:
if(rand()=1234)
{
blueScreenOfDeath();
}
Oh I like that! is that in a form that I could load into the registry?

My upgrade is ready, I am kind of cautious though...Do you have any useful advice to highlight, before i start the upgrade?

cpscdave said:
if(rand()=1234)
{
blueScreenOfDeath();
}
The blue screen fades from light to dark to light now... and it says stuff in your favorite language.

Kostas Tzim said:
My upgrade is ready, I am kind of cautious though...Do you have any useful advice to highlight, before i start the upgrade?
Disable any startup protection, it restarts a few times. I forgot to turn off my bios password and had to manually restart the computer.

what do you mean "startup protection"

duhuhu said:
So I have a fun problem:

My OS is up to date, I have gotten every single download Microsoft has told me to, I have jumped through all the hoops, and when I go to manually download the get windows 10 app, it says my computer is not up to date and that I cannot get the app.

I am running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, I have service pack 1, I have windows updates enabled, I even download the optional ones. I have gone through the forums on the Microsoft website, but after doing A LOT of stuff in the command prompt to try to fix my issues, and use their fancy little troubleshooter, I have had no success. What else can I do besides manually download and force install Win 10?
Have you tried downloading the ISO from this site? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Kostas Tzim said:
what do you mean "startup protection"

What he means is you can set up a password in the computers BIOS, such that every time the computer powers on it won't do anything until you enter the password.
After you do it'll boot normally.
Since you don't know what he was talking about its unlikely that you have anything similar set up.

The problem (I assume) is that during the installation process the computer has to reboot a number of times, and if you have a BIOS password set up, you either need to sit there and watch and wait for the reboots, or potentially mess up the installation.
Easier to just turn off the BIOS password before doing the install

StevieTNZ said:
Have you tried downloading the ISO from this site? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I have tried MANY times to upgrade my windows 8.1 pro and always fail with this error message "WindowsUpdate_C1900101 OR WindowsUpdate_dt000". (this instruction doesn't work in my case at all)
My other computer at work uses the exact same OS with the same latest updates installed but it worked fine. Admittedly, the new OS's default theme is sooo ugly.
:biggrin:

Just got mine, First impression is I like it.

It seems a bit drab at the top... maybe a setting? I'm still investigating... :oldgrumpy:
Tool Bar W 10.JPG

Last edited:
Our desktop is trying to update to Windows 10 Pro, from Windows 8.1 Pro. But I have not reserved Windows 10 on that computer. All attempts to install so far show up as 'Failed' in Windows Update.

StevieTNZ said:
Our desktop is trying to update to Windows 10 Pro, from Windows 8.1 Pro. But I have not reserved Windows 10 on that computer. All attempts to install so far show up as 'Failed' in Windows Update.
Did you try downloading the ISO? Your issue sounds similar to what I was seeing (though I did reserve it).

Now I'm having a new problem: Yesterday, I was playing an old Windows XP game, Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars. In the middle of the game, it disappeared and a survey from MS popped-up asking me about my experience upgrading. I thought the game had just minimized, but nope, it was gone. And now when I try to start it, I get an error message from the game, telling me it isn't compatible with my OS! Compatibility mode doesn't help.

I upgraded 2 days ago on my laptop; I triple boot with 2 linux distributions. The upgrade messed up one of the linux distribution: I'm not exactly sure whether windows removed a partition of windows 8.1 or so, but it renamed 2 linux partitions or switched them, I'm not really sure.
The thing is that gentoo used to be on /dev/sda8 and windows put it on /dev/sda7, the swap partition was also switched. So I had to fix my grub.cfg file accordingly, else I couldn't boot in gentoo anymore. In fact the problem was such that trying to boot gentoo would freeze my laptop on a black screen where even a hard reboot wouldn't work (pressing power button for several minutes did nothing), and since the battery is internal I had to wait about 4 hours for the battery to fully discharge and then fix the problem.
Apart from this, the update went fine and took about 1 hour and a half.

russ_watters said:
Did you try downloading the ISO? Your issue sounds similar to what I was seeing (though I did reserve it).
I downloaded the ISO to install on my laptop, after on my laptop it attempted to install and was continuously failing, in Windows Update. The problem is I don't want to upgrade the desktop. It shouldn't have started downloading Windows 10 Pro unless I reserved it.

I'm having the same issue as Stevie. It appears that the Windows 10 upgrade has been downloaded to my computer. And now, according to my update history, it is trying to install itself every day, but repeatedly fails. It's been doing this since Aug 1. The thing is, I never authorized this. I do not want Windows 10.

Some weird behaviour with graphics card initially, and my sound volume control disappeared.
OK after second reboot though ...

I installed last night on a HP Pavilion dm4 laptop i7-620M Dual Core processor from with Windows 7. The install took about three hours but there some questions along the way, so it may have waited on me for a while.

The bad news, my second display (HP 2159m) no longer works and HP doesn’t have a new driver for it. From the number of comments the web, it appears lots different display cards and monitors having this problem. Which means, I can’t be sure just buying a new monitor it will fix it.

I’ve reloaded my ATI Mobility Radeon 5450cards drivers, both new & old, but Windows 10 keeps defaulting to onboard Intel HD Graphics drivers (from 2012).

BTW if you need to quickly find the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, etc. just right click on the start button. Here is a screen shot:

upload_2015-8-13_12-38-46.png

Bottom line, I have a 30 day option to reinstall Windows 7 and if I can’t get a second monitor working, I will take it.

Imager said:
The bad news, my second display (HP 2159m) no longer works

As work around, the 9 pin monitor port does work when connected to the external monitor's DVI port.

At least I think that what the manual said it's a DVI port. Unfortunately, the manual disappeared into a mini back hole with a bunch of socks!

I have windows 8 in my PC right now. So to get the WIN 10 update , should I update to WIN 8.1? The problem is, I searched the store to get the windows 8.1 update and for some reason it states that my system cannot be updated to WIN 8.1... I'm using genuine windows 8 Professional and my system is up to date. But I haven't got any windows 8.1 update nor windows 10 notification...:cry:...What should I do now?:confused:

And If I not be able to upgrade online, the only alternative I have is to download the ISO from somewhere and install it via a USB drive because I do not have a DVD ROM...Do all the motherboards support booting via Pen Drives? Once I tried installing windows 8 via a USB drive but was unsuccessful, that nothing was shown up in the bios screen to accept the booting via the Pen drive......

<h2>What are the minimum system requirements for upgrading to Windows 10?</h2><p>The minimum system requirements for upgrading to Windows 10 are a 1 GHz or faster processor, 1 GB RAM for 32-bit or 2 GB RAM for 64-bit, 16 GB hard disk space for 32-bit or 20 GB for 64-bit, and a DirectX 9 or later graphics card.</p><h2>Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 from an older version of Windows?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. However, the upgrade process may vary depending on the current version of Windows and its compatibility with Windows 10.</p><h2>What happens to my files and applications during the upgrade to Windows 10?</h2><p>Most of your files and applications will be kept during the upgrade to Windows 10. However, it is recommended to back up your important files and check for compatibility of your applications with Windows 10 beforehand.</p><h2>Are there any new features in Windows 10 that are not available in previous versions?</h2><p>Yes, Windows 10 offers several new features such as Cortana, Microsoft Edge browser, and the ability to switch between desktop and tablet mode. It also includes updates to existing features like the Start menu and Action Center.</p><h2>Can I roll back to my previous version of Windows after upgrading to Windows 10?</h2><p>Yes, you can roll back to your previous version of Windows within 10 days of upgrading to Windows 10. After that, you will need to perform a clean installation of your previous version of Windows.</p>

What are the minimum system requirements for upgrading to Windows 10?

The minimum system requirements for upgrading to Windows 10 are a 1 GHz or faster processor, 1 GB RAM for 32-bit or 2 GB RAM for 64-bit, 16 GB hard disk space for 32-bit or 20 GB for 64-bit, and a DirectX 9 or later graphics card.

Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 from an older version of Windows?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. However, the upgrade process may vary depending on the current version of Windows and its compatibility with Windows 10.

What happens to my files and applications during the upgrade to Windows 10?

Most of your files and applications will be kept during the upgrade to Windows 10. However, it is recommended to back up your important files and check for compatibility of your applications with Windows 10 beforehand.

Are there any new features in Windows 10 that are not available in previous versions?

Yes, Windows 10 offers several new features such as Cortana, Microsoft Edge browser, and the ability to switch between desktop and tablet mode. It also includes updates to existing features like the Start menu and Action Center.

Can I roll back to my previous version of Windows after upgrading to Windows 10?

Yes, you can roll back to your previous version of Windows within 10 days of upgrading to Windows 10. After that, you will need to perform a clean installation of your previous version of Windows.