Discussion about Windows 10

I upgraded to my desktop to Windows 10 a few weeks ago with no problems, but I just took the leap yesterday and upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop. Here, I am having a problem. It's brought back bad memories from when I was similarly railroaded by Microsoft to upgrade to 8.1 from 8. To begin, my touchpad is doing the "regular" scrolling again, which I hate. I'm used to the reverse scrolling and this is driving me nuts. There's no obvious quick fix in the Synaptics settings window. Last time I had to download a third party app called "two finger scroll" which did the trick, but then somehow I was able to later find a Synaptix driver that worked better. It took me a while to find it and I don't want to spend the time looking for it again.

Problem two: I also spent a great deal of time finding a fix to that annoying warning that pops up when you turn your volume up over the 42 mark. My god that drives me nuts. I watch a lot of youtube videos and the volume settings of these, as you well know, are all over the place. So I'm constantly running the volume control up and down and to hit that warning window again and again all day long is absurd. But try getting rid of it. Not so easy. Back in the day, the only fix I could find was to revert back to Windows 8 from 8.1. But again, the price you pay for that is to be constantly harassed to upgrade to 8.1. So, after a long search, I was able to find a fix for the volume warning and upgrade to 8.1. All was fine and good for a long time. I think, subconsciously, this is why I've been reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10: life has been so rosy the last couple years that I forgot. Now these problems are back...:mad:

Btw, if anyone knows of a ready fix for either of my problems discussed above, I'd appreciate it :oldsmile:

If you don't have any specific purpose as to why you should use windows 10, don't install it. You can wait until they release "Redstone" likely in this summer then make your decision. Other than that, it is perfectly fine for me to just continue using Windows 8.1 until Windows 11 comes along in late 2017.

If you don't have any specific purpose as to why you should use windows 10, don't install it. You can wait until they release "Redstone" likely in this summer then make your decision. Other than that, it is perfectly fine for me to just continue using Windows 8.1 until Windows 11 comes along in late 2017.
Any specifics on 11 ?

Likes Silicon Waffle
If you don't have any specific purpose as to why you should use windows 10, don't install it.

That's a good point, especially since, ostensibly, they say they will support 8.1 until 2023. Right? Who is going to be using Windows 8.1 in 2023 when Windows 20 is out with the built in VR function? It's hard to resist the pressure to upgrade to Windows 10 when they continually hammer you to do it and talk about all the enhanced security features you are missing out on, having the state of the art operating system, and the fact that it's free. The only way I was finally able to go forward with it was to convince myself that it was actually an "automatic upgrade" I had to comply with, in the same way that when you shut down your computer Microsoft occasionally installs upgrades.

Likes Silicon Waffle
No, of course! :biggrin: So sorry about that!
I have to admit you "got me" on that post :cool:

Likes Silicon Waffle
Does anyone know anything about windows 10 upgrade for phones? I found something that claimed today was finally the day to release the update on a pull rather than a push... I guess that means if you want it you can get it but you won't be alerted and advised to upgrade until a later date. My Lumia 640 is supposed to be qualified for upgrade, but a check for updates on the phone returned that it was up to date. I am just concerned that it will be available but I won't be able to find it and install it, similar to what happened to my older win7 laptop when i had already agreed to upgrade in advance but had to manually start the upgrade after some time searching for what the problem and solution was.

I did find a windows insider preview for windows 10 but I am concerned about the risks. My wife is trying the update on her phone so I will wait and see how hers responds to decide if I should risk it. The biggest concerns for me is the inability to revert back to 8.1 and the danger of phone damage.

It's hard to resist the pressure to upgrade to Windows 10 when they continually hammer you to do it and talk about all the enhanced security features you are missing out on, having the state of the art operating system, and the fact that it's free.

As Robt. Heinlein said, "TANSTAAFL - There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" so please do be alert that generally when a proprietary corporation releases something labelled "free" it usually means YOU (or at least your information) are the fee. The MS EULA was recently altered to allow completely indiscriminate invasion of your system including emails, chats... basically anything on "your" system. The reason given is ostensibly to discover piracy but one only has to look at Google and Facebook profits to realize "free" just "ain't". Follow the money. Encrypting one's file system may provide a hedge against invasion on a "cold" system, but once up and running with decrypters in place MS can get in. If that's OK with you, then fine, but do know what you are allowing before you do.

The MS EULA was recently altered to allow completely indiscriminate invasion of your system including emails, chats... basically anything on "your" system. The reason given is ostensibly to discover piracy but one only has to look at Google and Facebook profits to realize "free" just "ain't".

So what's the solution, then? Just stick with with Windows 8.1 into the indefinite future? I guess you could switch to another platform. But if you want to stick with Windows and move with the times, whether it's free or not I think there's going to come a point where you just have to go with the flow. I mean, I don't think the social contract Microsoft made with their users was, OK, we got this new operating system we'll give you for free if you relinquish all of your privacy rights. Is that what it is? If so, do they have a version where I can pay $99 without the privacy invasion feature and still get all the new bells and whistles?

That's not a rhetorical question, btw, I really don't know. It just seems to me that the machine of progress is moving forward and not having the latest features on your operating system is probably going to make you less safe than more safe. I mean, aren't there a bunch of new security features built into Windows 10? Plus, you never know what Microsoft is doing, the last time you restarted your computer and it went through that windows update thing on your 7 or 8 OS they could have been downloading spy software for all you know.

I mean, aren't there a bunch of new security features built into Windows 10?
I don't know, either, but I don't care. People who should care, IMHO, are those who use their computers to facilitate financial access to pay bills, make purchases, etc. Since it appears to me Microsoft is joining the norm of "free" software loaded with 1 click purchase power, it would be in their best interest to protect your assets so you can buy things through Windows without concern of being robbed. The information about you is needed so that they can present you with goods or services from themselves or their partners, perhaps before you know or realize you want something, banking on the impulsive nature of consumers. "You really want this! Buy it now!"
I refuse to be led by my nose or to trust computers to keep my financial and personal information safe.

windows 7 all the way
i prefer windows vista to 10 and 8

I have to apologize for walking a fine line here including declining giving any advice for possible, workable alternatives. I don't wish to disrupt this thread beyond recommending that people faced with the Win 10 "upgrade" fire up their favorite search engine and research "PC software backdoors" to discover for yourself the consequences of assuming "I don't care" or "what alternatives are there - none".

Alternatives and at least some levels of protection are possible (Example - Hardware Firewall on FOSS encrypted disc) and "I don't care. I don't do anything wrong/vulnerable" can be a dangerous apathy. Just ask, for example, any of the many people already destroyed by and finally released by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_Project

Some of those were on Death Row and we will never know how many have yet to be discovered and defended let alone how many have been financially destroyed by long trials, jailed for long terms, let alone executed wrongly already over the years. More specific to this thread take a look at data kept by The Electronic Frontier Foundation to see what the true risks have already been and could become. There is no need to be paranoid or apathetic. Just be informed.

Likes James Holland
meBigGuy
Gold Member
Alternatives and at least some levels of protection are possible (Example - Hardware Firewall on FOSS encrypted disc) and "I don't care. I don't do anything wrong/vulnerable" can be a dangerous apathy. Just ask, for example, any of the many people already destroyed by and finally released by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_Project

What the heck does that have to do with windows 10? You have pretty much fallen off the deep end.

What the heck does that have to do with windows 10? You have pretty much fallen off the deep end.

The Innocence Project was an example of how often good people who assumed they had nothing to fear, were not at risk, were destroyed by misinformation or bad interpretation of data. It also happens in computing.

Example - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz the story of Aaron Swartz, one of many fined, jailed or otherwise destroyed by FUD via data on a PC.

Simply put, one can harden even a Windows 95 install to mitigate security problems. Obviously the lack of other support makes it a non-issue other than as an example, but the same can be said of Win 7 or 8. The point is there are many alternatives including some Windows choices depending on how much risk each is willing to allow. Sorry, Deep End is not in this direction.

The Innocence Project was an example of how often good people who assumed they had nothing to fear, were not at risk, were destroyed by misinformation or bad interpretation of data. It also happens in computing.

Sorry, but comparing the Innocence project to Windows 10 is a stretch too far in my book, bordering on a non-sequitur. Actually, even crossing over into a NS.

Simply put, one can harden even a Windows 95 install to mitigate security problems. Obviously the lack of other support makes it a non-issue other than as an example, but the same can be said of Win 7 or 8. The point is there are many alternatives including some Windows choices depending on how much risk each is willing to allow. Sorry, Deep End is not in this direction.

If you're an experienced computer hacker anything is possible, but most people are not so paranoid to go through these lengths to surf the web and run their facebook page. I think my position is the most sensible for the average user. I stated it earlier in this thread, get Windows 10 but disable all the snoop options in the setup.

Speaking of which, I was actually a bit paranoid myself to the point that I didn't even activate Cortana because on the acceptance page it looked as though you had to give up the farm to get her functionality. I think I may be working harder and not smarter, though, due to that paranoia. So I'm asking opinions here as to whether Cortana is a good feature to use or not. Personally, I don't see Windows 10 being much if any different than 7 or 8. What I miss about about Windows 8 was being able to just go into the main screen and start typing and then the search window would just pop up on the right side of the screen and provide what you were looking for. Windows 10 doesn't seem to have an equivalent feature. But that's what I think Cortana is doing and I've disabled it.

OK DracPool, while I obviously disagree about the value of the analogy, I'll just let those chips fall where they may. Even if the odds for a false positive are less than 1 percent, if it does happen to you it becomes effectively 100%. to you Is it worth the risk? You choose.

Win 10 is a big change from Win 7 and even Win 8. Upgrades are no longer optional but forced but that's a minor inconvenience compared to the wholesale takeover of your data. I very much doubt you've thoroughly read the EULA to be able to think they are the same or a minor change. In it Microsoft reserves so many rights to your data that your PC truly no longer belongs to you. You just get to use it like some domesticated animal in the farmer's barn. You cannot disable the snoop options, only reduce a pitiful few. As I said, even encryption does not work against what amounts to an internal attack. Look it up. I'm not overstating the case.

Here is just one revealing story on the subject from Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...-10-data-tracking-spying-levels/#4af2982a7aa9. Researching the backdoors is even more revealing. However it is rather interesting that even the Enterprise Edition is a spy.

I don't wish to belabor the point so since you asked about Cortana below I have a link for anyone who cares to view on it. Let me just say that it is too new to truly know just how invasive it is in practice. However MS has provided themselves with lots of wiggle room with the "and more" floodgate. In truth this is one reason I post in this thread. As long as so many users just "bend over" MS will continue. I'm hoping at least some will work as hard to complain bitterly as people did when Intel tried to include "call home" individual CPU IDs, which, as you may recall, was effectively thwarted. Such complaints have already led to a class action suit in Germany.

Anyway here's one link regarding Cortana. http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-10-privacy-spying.html Best wishes.

Last edited:
So I have a fun problem:

My OS is up to date, I have gotten every single download Microsoft has told me to, I have jumped through all the hoops, and when I go to manually download the get windows 10 app, it says my computer is not up to date and that I cannot get the app.

I am running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, I have service pack 1, I have windows updates enabled, I even download the optional ones. I have gone through the forums on the Microsoft website, but after doing A LOT of stuff in the command prompt to try to fix my issues, and use their fancy little troubleshooter, I have had no success. What else can I do besides manually download and force install Win 10?
Get Ubunu. You'll be happier..

Okay, got a question.

How good is the Windows firewall? My free period of antivirus software is expiring and i've been looking at Avast Free, well at least it's reviews, but it doesn't come with a firewall, so am wondering if i could manage with Windows inbuilt one.

Thanks for any answers.

Okay, got a question.

How good is the Windows firewall? My free period of antivirus software is expiring and i've been looking at Avast Free, well at least it's reviews, but it doesn't come with a firewall, so am wondering if i could manage with Windows inbuilt one.

Thanks for any answers.
It depends what sites you visit.
As long as you don't expect to be visiting sites which might carry malicious content, you should be fine, I am.
Malicious content is not necessarily the fault of the site, often it's embedded within advertising placed on the site by a third party.

harborsparrow
Gold Member
I have been getting along fine for several years now without commercial anti-virus software. I use the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. However, once in a while mites get into my browser and I need to temporarily disable Windows Defender and run Malwarebytes to cleanse everything carefully. Then I turn off Malwarebytes, go back to Windows Defender and things are usually fine for many months. I am on the web constantly. The only times I've needed Malwarebytes is when, during an installation, I got tricked into clicking on some installer that tried to hijack things.

P S - I've always run the latest Windows, so my experience goes from Win 7 to Win 8 to Win 8.1 to Win 10 (on several different computers at my home office)

I haven't used Windows past Win 7 so I don't know for certain if MS has continued to have their built-in firewall monitor only Incoming and no Outgoing like everything up to and including Win 7, but it is a very important part of diligent security. You can check if yours does here -
http://www.howtogeek.com/220204/how-to-track-firewall-activity-with-the-windows-firewall-log/

There still are free and cheap 3rd party firewalls available that monitor all traffic, In and Out. IIRC PCTools and Commodo are 2.

I want to get the creators update. My windows build is pretty old, haven't undergone any updating. Since I'm on a limited internet connection, I'd like to know how many GBs it'll need to download the creators update. Any idea?

Attachments

• Windows build.PNG
    Windows build.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 441
I want to get the creators update. My windows build is pretty old, haven't undergone any updating. Since I'm on a limited internet connection, I'd like to know how many GBs it'll need to download the creators update. Any idea?
There's not much point in getting the software development kit unless you have a recent version of the OS.
I'd say get your PC updated first,even if it does take some time.
One of the good things about win 10 is that it updates quickly and transparently. with little need for user involvement.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I want to get the creators update
There's not much point in getting the software development kit

????

How does this follow?